CVRDA Insurance

General chat about boats
nick

Post by nick »

Who are you all insured with, chaps and chapesses ? I have just been quoted a renewal of £203 by Noble for my old '14', which I consider to be extortionate, especially as I've not had any claims, and the value being insured is only £1,000, including T&T etc. I guess the reason is the 'new for old' benefit, which would bump up the price of a new '14' sail - which wouldn't be any good anyway.

Anyone got any good deals ? And what about a policy for more than one boat, I'm told it can't be done.

Regards

Nick
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

I got insurance for the peggi for about £110 but that was covering old for new and for damage caused my mice bad weather etc and the boat being worth £1500

Am busy working on the Quiz, Neil you could have made it easier!

Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
david r

Post by david r »

Try Newton Crum - always very good value on Pegasus - was insured fully comp for £500 at £45 premium (£1,000 would be £47), or you could have 3rd party only at £26

OK 1944 insured N. Crum for £2,000 value (because of 2 al masts + carbon mast & newish sail) for £51p.a. with extra £12 for new for old replacement on spars & sails up to 6 yrs old + £8 for combi trailer

I think Keith R uses NFU - very cheap & possibly SAGA worth a call ?

£204 is a rip off

David R
keithr

Post by keithr »

Hi

I use Saga and NFU.

Saga only £35.00 for fifteen lakes and coastal included racing etc with no claim bonus I think, as premium went down but that is only 3rd party.

Peggie a bit more.

Keith R
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
stotty

Post by stotty »

Tried saga for various bits of kit dinghy wise - not interested!
re another topic joyeuse noel et bonne annee or en breton degmer mat!
bit of a cheek(cheat)really i'm sat sat here in glorious foggy nth worcs - can't wait wait to get back tyo the cellar and more restorations!
tont s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

Try Bishop Skinner. Can get quote on line and purchase. All that with your little mouse and a soothing glass of Xmas spirit in the other hand. Got my fleet with them. Something like £47 for a Merlin/N12/Solo
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Nick I use craft insure very reasonable pay £59 for Shark which I value at around £800.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

We have had tons of threads in the past about insurance.

Basically the problem is that underwriters base their premium on the class alone - they don't care about the age, design or how it is sailed at all.

I tried to insure my 14 once and the conversation went something like this:

Me) Can you insure my 1949 International 14?

Broker) Certainly Sir - that will be £three hundred and something

Me) What! Why is it so much?

Broker) Well it is a 14 - very high risk those - very competative racing class - lots of bumps - lots of breakages

Me) But mine was made in 1949! I don't race with the Class - I don't do anything competative much with it....I just race and cruise with other classic dinghies

Broker) Well we could provide cover with no 'racing risks' for £XXX, but we still couldn't cover you for the mast.

Me) Why not?

Broker) Well its Carbon isn't it.

Me) But it was made in 1949!!!!!!! of course it isn't carbon!!!

Broker) OK, but in that case I think that using a mast that old for a twin trapeze boat is not a good risk.

Me).....Grrrrrrr......It doesn't have a trapeze....any trapeze!!!!

Broker) Gosh, Mate, I don't think you have got an Int 14, Are you sure it isn't a GP14.

Me) No......its an Int 14.....made in 1949....doesn't that make any difference?

Broker) No it its a 14, that is how much it costs.

In the end I have given up with Comprehensive insurance for all my boats. If they break.....who is going to fix them....I will. I just use 3rd party.

The best value 3rd party insurance that i have found is with Bishop Skinner and you have to be a member of the RYA as well. This is £20.00 for non-trapeze and £30 for trapeze boats. Still doesn't make sense really. But insurance never does.

So your standard boats like the Firefly etc still remain very cheap, but the dev classes, however old they are tend to be just too expensive to insure other than 3rd party.

I have always wanted to try and arrange some CVRDA 'classic' insurance for the association. I am sure this should be possible.....but all my attempts to talk underwriters into it have met with no understanding at all.

Maybe one day......one day....

Oh and before anybody suggests it, all the classic yacht insurance underwriters are even more unfriendly and pretty much all demand that any boat have a full survey before they will provide any cover. I did this for a while with my Jollyboat and to be honest it was an interesting experience, but I don't think I would bother to do it again.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

Bishop Skinner, Bishop Skinner and Bishop Skinner
By far the cheapest and easiest.
Noble took over Admiral's dinghy business and quoted me stupid prices = £80 for the lark plus another £80 for the double trailer!! Bishop Skinner came in at £69 for the lot. I got lots of quotes for both that and half cut and they were best.
Half cut is fully comp without any problems and the only one that has raised a query is Love over Gold Merlin 3434 where I had to email a couple of photos to show she as worth what I said. as it was so much more than I'd paid on e-bay.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

I know a couple of people who work in marine insurance at Lloyds though they underwrite somewhat larger commercial shipping. I will mention the above and see if a small scheme would be viable but I doubt it given the likely numbers.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
roger

Post by roger »

I have the planker Hornet and the gp insured 3rd party for about £50 for both.
The other Hornet was with Admiral who have now been taken over by Noble and depspite a major claim last year(£400 for new gybing C/board) the premium has not gone up and they didnt quibble just paid up straight away but have to say its not as high as £200 for a 14.

As has been said on previous threads it would be nice if we could find a company who would take on vintage boats on a lower risk basis.
BUT dont tell them about the mass sinkings at Baltic wharf:(

I suspect with our 25 years old criteria you may get a lot of general sailors jumping in with us.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

All the following are with Bishop Skinner, I'm very happy with them. As an RYA instructor I get a 10% Discount.

So far the most dangerous boats in my fleet are the Oppie (took out the side of a Frieball) and the Topper (dinked the bow of a new (As in only just got wet for the first time) RS 400. Obviously, those two are the ones that attracted the lowest premiums....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've go mine either fully comp with Noble (more expensive, but have no age limit for new for old cover and will pay out, as I found when I helped with people's insurance claims at Wet & Windy)
or 3rd party with Bishop Skinner, I believe, on the £20 a boat thing. They put them all on one policy, and you add another £20 if you put another boat on. But then mine are all one designs, so it is easier.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The Bishop Skinner 3rd party insurance works for all classes, you just have to be a member of RYA.

Good Luck Trevor with your Lloyds Marine insurance friends!

It would be great to sort something out. So far all my attempts have come to nothing, but I am sure there must be an underwriter out there somewhere who would be happy to take it on. I tried with my Father who was in marine insurance (that was how I got the Classic Vessel insurance for the Jollyboat) and also with my Brother still has a foot in Lloyds but now insures racing cars and bikes.

The only guy who has ever been helpful and interested in principal.....was Brian S??? I think and he is one of the directors at Bishop Skinner.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I think the person you are trying to remember is Brian Southgate. Don't forget Bishop Skinner have become part of Stuart Alexander. They are still good though.