Wire crimping

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have to replace shrouds and forestay on 2 boats and the jib halyard in stainless on one and was wondering whether it would pay to buy a crimper and the raw materials and if anyone has one (I was looking at the Ormiston one for about £40) how did they find it to use? If I did buy one I would be happy to share it around for members' use (unless anyone has one already?) It's just that every time I buy something it has to be mail order and it costs a fortune in postage.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I have the Ormiston one, you'll need the cutters as well - these are about £30 for the Felco ones, and you'll need them for Stainless. I bought direct from Ormiston (http://www.ormiston-wire.co.uk/) and got 100 Ferules, 100 thimbles and 100m of Stainless wire plus the tool (about £20) and the Felco cutters all for about £120. It's all paid for itself know as I make all my own rigging.

The delivery was £10 for the lot, which condering the weight is very good.

One point about the Ormiston tool is that you'll need a decent spanner so you don't damage the head of the machine screws and make sure you CopperSlip the threads as you'll be tightening up very hard.

It'll take you a few goes to do a decent job and you'll learn to cut the wire before the second crimp but I got the hang of it after a while, and you you bulk buy the ferrules and thimbles they work out to be pennies each.

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

Paul Athay from Shearwater (crewed a GP at Clywedog) makes up rigging to order. Roger or Chris will have his phone number if you want to call. Am told his prices are sensible and he does a good job.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Grahamd

Post by Grahamd »

Hi I have a brand new swaging tool and some ferrules bought it but never used it its way better than the Ormiston i could e mail a photo if you like looking for £50
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Too late - sorry - chickened out and bought them ready made up.
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

The Ormiston tool works well. I borrow one whenever I need to do this sort of thing. If you tape the wire and tightly clamp it between two small pieces of softwood, its easy to cut it cleanly with a fine toothed hacksaw blade or if you have a Dremel or similar a cutting disk makes a realy quick and neat job of it so you can save the cost of the cutters mentioned unless you have more than one boat to do.

A little practice is required to get a good result (anyone can crimp a simple soft eye, but to get it in the right place or to make a hard eye with the thimble in properly can be a bit trickier). Its best to clamp one half of the tool in a vice and use a good ring spanner or socket & ratchet handle to tighten it. *ALWAYS* keep the bolts greased and tighten them evenly.

Its pretty much essential kit if yopu have any wire running rigging and since the accuracy is down to you, is well worth it if you actually want shrouds the same length :-)

Next time, dont chicken out.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
chris

Post by chris »

Yes I agree Ian, I use the Ormiston toll and have sheared off a bolt!
By the way I'm nearing the end of restoring Albi 1576 so hope to chase you on the water this year.