Windermere in 2008?

Chat about CVRDA events
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Whilst at the Historic Ships Conference last month I made contact with the LakeLand Arts Trust (http://www.lakelandartstrust.org.uk)

They have taken over the Windermere Steam Boat Collection (http://www.lakelandartstrust.org.uk/ste ... seum.shtml). I was asked if we fancy having an event at Windermere.

So is there any interest in a Windermere event in 2008 possibly in conjunction with the LakeLand Arts Trust Collection?

If there is I'll get a dialogue going with them and see what we can come up with.

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Neal count me in.
Al
keithr

Post by keithr »

Sounds good to me, but are we not a little fast for the speed limit??
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Not a million miles from Aberdeen so I would be up for that
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Keith
Did n't think a Peggy could reach 10knts, but then I forgot it's got a secret steam plant,the pipe gives the game away.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That sounds like the sort of event that would be great fun. Racing would take a back seat to the grace and elegance of the boats and surroundings, and it would certainly be a weekend to remember. Exactly the side of the cvrda that gets forgotten by people like me, till Neil reminds us by bringing a boat like Rannoch along to be gazed at! Note to self - must get a boat looking pretty by 2008...
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

2008 is Rannoch's 60th birthday so it would be nice to get her out somewhere apart from Roadford. It's also Zenith's 80th Birthday, but I doubt she'll be finished in time as there's a Flying 15 to get ready for this year and a Solo and Hobie 16 to sort out to sell to pay for Zenith's restoration.

But I would take Rannoch and be willing to sit it out if it was too windy and drink Pimms.

If we can get it organised I'd see if I could get some older Canoes along as well.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Yerss, I'll have a bit of this, but avoid Bank Holiday weekends, please.

Nick
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I read somewhere tha the Widermere clubs are having a combined clubs regatta this year, the first for a while (i think), I sailed from a caravan park last year on windamere in my canoe - It was great when the wind blew. I'd go for an event up there !
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Count me in on this one, I think Windermere should be big enough for GBR 350 (Superdocious) which like Neil's Fifteen is starting to swallow cash, hopefully I should have sorted out all the pieces of string by then.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You've Rodney P's old FD? Fantastic!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Graham;

It would be very very good to see Superdocious - a legendary boat for me and one of the reasons I started sailing (was reading RP's book in my local library). Is that fantastic paint job still intact?

I think a holiday in the lakes would be great in 2008 - but I need to find a way to get a trailer tent, a Peggie and an IC there!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I think Superdocious was responsible for a lot of peoples enthusiasm for dinghy sailing and led me to run a very battered Tiptree in the mid '70s which my brother and I turned into a lookalike.
This boat is not the original from '68 which now resides in the Maritime Museum in Falmouth, but is the third evolution, which was built for him with funding from Poole Town Council for his '84 campaign. Sadly this was not followed through, as he moved on to other things. The boat however proved itself in the hands of its next owner by winning the Nationals on three occassions on the trot, and being runner up on two between 97-03, before languishing in the preverbial barn, unused until a few weeks ago.
Yes, it is in the trademark livery and I am in the process of having the graffics redone and replacing some worn fittings and what seems like a few hundred metres of controll lines and bunghy. It is my intention, funds providing to put her back into commision in June/July if i can stop droolling and get on with it.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious