Shackle rings

share hints, tips and experiences
Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

Am I alone in hating shackle rings? They seem to be designed to frustrate and annoy, especially on a cold wet day when fingers are less than nimble and the little blighters ping off into the grass! Is there any reason other than cost for using these and can I safely replace them with screw or captive pin shackles?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You are not the only one...
Screw shackles have a habit of undoing at vital moments, so not too good on your shrouds. For some reason the constant slight flexing can loosen them. You can always tape them up, but then you are left fighting insulation tape with cold hands instead.
There are shackles made with either a fold over bit on the end or very expensive push fit ones- take out a mortgage and visit your local chandler! It is much cheaper to keep a supply of spare rings
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I also find many of the shackle rings small and fiddly. I did get some which were a bigger diameter than the normal ones and they aren't quite so bad. I find that the simple split ring type rather than the key ring style are easier and once they are clipped on they are more or less in position. Sadly can't remember where they came from so I am now frustrated by forgetfulness rather than arthritis!!!!!!!!!.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

The ones in question are attaching my genoa so as these are tightened each time I sail there should be no problem using a screw or toggle clevis. Thanks for the replies!

Ian
Pat

Post by Pat »

There's also a safety pin style clevis clip. Easy on and off but point needs taping.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)