copper nails and roves

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove copper nails and roves without damaging the wood too much?

I have a Merlin Rocket that should be glued construction but a previous owner has decided to seal leaking joints with the nails. As I am stripping to bare wood to re-varnish and paint and I have to epoxy some other leaking joints I thought I'd remove the nails and reglue the old joints.

Is the copper likely to be soft enough to hit it with a very sharp chisle and take the top off, should they be drilled out and the hole filled or should I leave be?

Many thanks for any help

Steve
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Hi Stephen

I was doing this last night on my ribbed boat although I am not worried about the wood underneath!!! The easist way it to get hold of an angle grinder, zip the burred rivet head off gently - take a couple of goes at it to avoid overheating (with copper about 2 seconds) and move to the next one. I did a half side of the boat last night in about 5 minutes. Just don't hold it too long in one place and the wood will be fine. The rove popped off and then drive out the nail. Fill the hole after you have glued with epoxy (use microballoons from West System) - you may not even need to fill it if the epoxy squeezes up through. (tip here - put a bit of masking tape on either side of the joint on both sides - you won't splother it all over the wood. The wood will stain with the epoxy but rub it off with acetone if this happens. When I did a similar job I held the planks apart with little wood wedges put in the glue, moved the wedges and made sure the whole length of plank was glued, remove wedges completely and I screwed the planks together with lightly greased panhead screws. Remove the screws when the glue has set and refill the holes - I think I used Rawlplug mahogany filler in a tube - You can't even see where the repair was done. Hope this helps.
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Thanks Garry, I hadn't thought about that. Will give it a try. Just seen your next project! The freebie Smokers Satisfaction on the MR for sale list
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Pass on that one !!!!

Would need to buy a new house with a much larger garage!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

You mean this one
http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/forum/adv ... asp?id=216
there is also another 'Smokers' open to offer
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Panatella was a nice boat a few years ago....but beginning to show its age. But its made by Laurie Smart so would be well worth re-building.

I know everyone is terribly into vintage merlins at the moment....but this would be a georgeous boat to do up...

Don't even think about it Neil!!!!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

After my last experience with a Merlin I'm sticking to boats with proper planks and ribs, none of this glued together stuff.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith