Rudder Blade Wanted

Post your requirements here
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

I've gone and done something which questions my sanity. I've bought one of those many ebay listed Merlins and this one does'nt even have a usable rudder blade.
It came with a broken carbon one and a fixed blade from an Int.14. which really is'nt any use. I was going to make a blade using the carbon one as a template but my wookwork skills are naff and I'd rather be out sailing anyway.
There appear to be no class rules on rudders(?) so I guess a blade from another class might be fine.The stock I have is a Ronder alloy type with a 27mm width.
Can anybody help?
I'll be at Frensham this weekend ( with the OK).
Regards, Alan. OK1211
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Alan,

I have a carbon blade which I think is off a Merlin. Looks around 25-26mm thick at the pivot and is 1015mm long. I am in Bristol if you want a look or I can photograph & mail.

Best Regards,

Nigel
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Hello Nigal and thanks for your reply.
Certainly appears to be the right sort of size and I did email you. Have you recieved it?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Alan,

no emails received - try nigel.vause@blueyonder.co.uk

Best Regards

Nigel
chris

Post by chris »

Well done, Alan!
Merlins are more than OK!!
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Thanks Nigel. I've emailed you.

And thanks Chris. You are right, a LOT more than OK. There's miles and miles of paint and varnish. Plus it suffers from that major design fault that all Merlins do - it requires a crew. Dunno who's the nutcase, me or my 73 year old volunteer crew!. See you at the weekend.
chris

Post by chris »

Glad you are able to go to Frensham. It is also a merlin vintage event so plenty of people to talk about a spare rudder.- may be worth bringing the remains of the old rudder with you.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Dear ,dear me Alan, well i suppose we all must go mad sometime!!!!
Let your Dad talk you round again eh! never mind.:D
DJSpencer-Smith
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Rest assured Duncan, there are still 2 old OKs chomping at the bit in the stable.
It was in fact me who talked Dad around into the idea that fun could be had in the front of an old Merlin driven by a dodgy OK pilot.
But just in case he starts to see sense, I might get an OK up to Clywedog as well as the Merlin seeing as we will have a spare tow ball between us!