What's in your workshop?

share hints, tips and experiences
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Just wondering what everyones working on over the winter - any new boats being prepared for this season? With Rupert's ToY, Stu's IC, mine and Ed's Tideways there's going to be some different boats on the water next year - anyone else got something different for 2005?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Not exactly in the workshop, but we've certainly got something cooking away - due to be revealed around mid-march!!

As for the canoe, well...need to get that into a workshop for a bit of TLC.[:(!]
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The ToY has been collected, and even went for a very short sail this afternoon. Everything about her is tired, so she will come in this summer for a rebuild and lots of TLC while Saskia gets sailed. I'll be looking for a better mainsail, too, at some point. Must lay it over a solo sail to compare for size. On paper they are pretty much the same.
We will also have a Puffin, which I think must qualify as a lost class...Collecting that at the end of the month, and she will belong to Pippa. Handicap about 200!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Rupert - is that the Puffin with the plastic/canvas collapsable sides?

Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Hello Neil,
Got the OK set upside down in the garage today ready for a lick of paint.Then,later, a coat or two of varnish after turning her the right way up.No work as such.
With all these recently acquired flying machines that will be appearing this year,looks as if I'll be playing with myself at the rear.Oh dear! I should'nt of said that!
chris

Post by chris »

Well now, I'm half way through making a copy of Mozart's fortepiano, I have another to restore and also a square piano that dates from the year before the Batttle of Traffalgar to restore. (by the way since that's 200 years ago this year do you think we should do a re-enactment at Roadford?)
Well you did ask what's in the workshop.

BUT...
outside there's an Albacore in bits, and a red Merlin which is ready to sail. In the shed are two merlins. I've patched the deck where the mast went through but not varnished it yet on 507, and there's one job to do on Iska. The rowing boat could do with a varnish too.

Perhaps, Neil, you should rephrase to question to

"How many boats do you have lying around and what percentage are ready to sail?"

Chris,

Ps How many weeks to the start of sailing???!!!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh Gosh....please don't go down that road!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Chris - You've stopped............Ed, Neil and i have been sailing at least once a month, Ed a little more I think. We canoe sailors can't possibly stop for an extended period, just incase we forget how to do it. Of course that implies I know what I am doing, which I don't, but I still might forget how to to do it badley.

As for the question, perhaps it should be: <i>How many boats do you have that need to be in your workshop...if you had one?</i> ;)
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Merlin 1728 lying up againt the garage wall ready to go - stored inside and Merlin No 111 with 5 new ribs installed (21 to go in all - 15 from gunwhale to c/board case and 6 full width). Then the rest of the work but I will include that for next winter's question!!! I am sure the women in my life think I would be good at steaming wallpaper - little do they know...........!!!!!!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dolphin 30 Lots of split planks as rig tension was applied by previous boyracer owner with a 32 to one system. He then glassed up all the splits with tape and polyester which just let the rot spread and because the spaces between the planks were filled resulted in more splitting due to expansion.

Cheers Al
PS I know I should have spent the winter getting the Nacra back on the water Oh dear.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Oh, and I have a Laser in the workshop, too...needs a few minor mends, and won't be around long, bathroom and children allowing. And no, it isn't mine, it belongs to a friend. No, really!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I wish I'd never started this thread as I now have to admit to:
<ul>
<li>Tideway - revarnish and redeck</li>
<li>Hobie 16 - fair and paint hulls</li>
<li>Pegasus - redeck and repaint</li>
<li>Rannoch - revarnish mast</li>
<li>Zenith (B Class canoe) - complete restoration</li>
</ul>

off to the workshop now..........

chris

Post by chris »

Ok Stu, My only excuse is that I'm trying to do a years worth of gardening in a few weekends over the winter, and any more cheek and you'll be back on the computer at Roadford!!
(only kidding, I can see steam coming out of this computer already!)
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

Well let me see, whats lodged down there?
1) A schooner called Atlantis with a wrecked inside.
2) A 1930's gaff rig 5 rater with a rare tandem keel arrangement and damn'd little freeboard.
3) A pretty little keelboat found in a pub garden and without a rudder or any rig whatsoever. This one came free from the builder who was reluctant to chop it up for the bonfire and she was delivered free too.

I hope to get two out of three on the water by late summer.

Good job I am an insomniac.