Experiences with Net-rol

share hints, tips and experiences
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

You may remember the Oxalic Acid thread......Anyway I decided to try Net-rol on the Tideway.

Excellent results on the hull - a nice warm finish that looks good under a few coats of varnish.

So I decided to do the inside of the boat and bought some more Net-rol whilst at the Boat Show. It was in the new packaging unlike my last purchase that was in the old packaging.

As previously I watered it down 4:1 and applied it onto wet timber, scrubbed it, sluiced it off etc - in fact I used the same method of the outside of the hull. Went to admire the next morning and.....the oak ribs have turned black and the planks have all discoloured - the light bits have dulled down and the grey/weathered bits have got a lot darker. I can sand it down to good timber but it's a lot of work.

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Have Net-rol changed their product?
3. Apart from sanding is there any way of bringing the colour of the timber back?

regards

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmm.....I had a look at this last weekend and it was enough to make me cry.

Also very worrying....I have been using netrol with some notable sucessess in the recent past. It really cleaned up the hull of my Int 14 and I also used it with much sucsess on my Tideway recently....but these were all with the old packaged product....Is the new packaging also a new mixture?

I really think it would be worth taking a few photos and sending them to Owatrol and seeing what they have to say about it. I sure as hell am not going to buy any more until I am pretty sure that this won't happen to me!

I also wonder if there is any connection with the 'new' copper nails and roves that were coming into contact with the netrol. There would of been less on the outside.....and my Int 14 didn't have any......but on the other hand, I didn't have any problem when doing the inside of the Tideway....and my normal working style with netrol is to pretty much use it neat on a wet sponge....so much stronger than you were using it.

From you current situation....I am not sure what you can do....there are some other commercial Oxalic acid cleaners and to be honest I have found some of the others stronger....but I can't remember the names and don't have any suppliers....I used to buy some from a guy who went round the boat jumbles and it was pretty powerful stuff....but worked well.

So I think you will most probably have to just sand.....and this does seem like rather a lot of work!!!

mmmmm......I would certainly contact Owatrol....you will be surprised how helpful their technical people might be. If the importers arn't much help go direct to Owatrol in Scandihooli-whereever it comes from.

Good luck....but do follow it up....

I would certainly be interested to hear if any others had similar problems....in the past or with the new product.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Could also be worth posting to uk.rec.sailing and rec.boats.building and seeing if there is anybody on those list that have had any problems

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

uk.rec.sailing is a very scary place to post at the moment!
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Really .....why is that....Capt Neal still playing silly buggers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942