2009 - CVRDA 10th Anniversary

Chat about CVRDA events
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Whilst at Clywedog a few of us were musing on the history of the CVRDA. Trying to get a definite start date of the CVRDA from Ed was impossible but the website states that the CVRDA was born in 1998 and the first event - the Roadford Rally was held in 1999.

So if we take 1999 as the year the first CVRDA event took place we will being having our 10th anniversary in 2009.

I know we usually discuss the venue for the Nationals at the preceeding AGM but I'd like to make a proposal.

The first CVRDA event was held at Roadford, I'd like to suggest the 10th Anniversary is also at Roadford in 2009.

I mentioned this to James Platt from South West Lakes Trust (and a big CVRDA supporter) and not only did he agree straight away he also volunteered to be on an event organising committee. We have the core team who have also volunteered to organise the event - myself, Anne, Alan, James and Graham.

If the CVRDA membership thinks that Roadford would be suitable venue for the 2009 Anniversary event we would be able to use the next 2 years to organise an event that would attract a lot of publicity, allow us to possibly get some sponsorship, and we should aim to get over 50 boats on the water.

So....is it a good idea?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Sounds Great to me
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

yes
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
chris

Post by chris »

Good idea.

Chris B
Pat

Post by Pat »

Agreed and I will talk to other contacts about sponsorship.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Yep you have my backing. Lets get 40 to Netley and 50 to Roadford in 09.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Sounds good to me - I will pack the boat and leave tomorrow to be there in time. (Just to collect the farthest travelled trophy you understand!!) Joking apart it seems that nostalgia is a good thing and it would be well worth having the anniversary bash there.
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Sounds good to me too.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Pat

Post by Pat »

Roadford is great sailing - we just hated the facilities side of things - maybe pressure this early can address the problems.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

with the Lakes Trust on board at an early stage I'd get them to commit to extra toilets etc. They are aware of the facilities issue as it gets raised a lot.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
david r

Post by david r »

I agree in principle - but share the same reservations as Pat & Ed - i.e facilities - clubhouse, bar, kitchen etc...................
Also the many problems we had with finding a decent race officer - a job which I am happy to volunteer for, assuming the date is OK etc.
Remember it will also be a lot more expensive than somewhere like Clywedog - due to the exorbitant fees SW lakes trust charge for sailing & camping etc.
David R
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

All very good points Pat, & David; ones which would need addressing to some extent before any planned event.

perhaps SWLT could be persuaded to turn the barn into a club house for the 4 or so days that the majority of sailors will be there.

Toilets, well yes - a problem, even keeping the tolilet rolls topped up was hard work ! But inspite of all yhis I still feel with plenty of time to plan and some issues to solve Roadford would be great for the 10th celebrations.

Maybe a prize for anyone who can produce 10 genuine flags from each of the years, or hats, t shirts etc?:D

it would be nice also to try and get some of the peopl / boats that sailed at the first to come along, if they are not already.

It would be nice to get all past nationals winners there too, how many is it? 3 or 4 people ???[:p]

Perhaps Keiths butcher would come down and .............
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Expense is always mentioned in connection with Roadford - how dear is it and considering that the facilities are also an issue (or even a tissue like a Hero is not quite a Heron!!) is it feasable to expect no problems if some 50 boats are turning up. Is it possible to negotiate a bulk deal of some sort. Is it possible to get temporary facilities eg loos? Is there B7B for non-campers? I haven't been before so don't know the format. I thought that there were some issues with Flying Fifteens if the water level is low as well. While it would be nice to have the 10th Nats where the 1st one was held again it is being driven into the South West
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'd supprt Roadford for the Nationals. Although I haven't made it to many CVRDA events the Roadford event this year was one of the most enjoyable sails I've had in a while. I cannot remember how much it cost, so it obviously didn't strike me as being too much. I enjoyed the camping, the only problem was the windsurfing kids running all the hot water off so they could warm their poor little hands. I had a shower anyway, I'd been sweating sailing and wanted to cool down!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
keithr

Post by keithr »

Sounds a good plan to me as well but with same reservations as David re cost and facilities but as Gary said we should be able to negotiate a bulk package deal same as we did at Clywedog £20 for 3 days inc entry ???.

I will have to get butcher to take up sailing then he may do a hog roast on site !!!!!.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird