Keeping it up !!

share hints, tips and experiences
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

I bought an elderly Vanguard Finn recently. There appears to be no way to retain the mast in the boat. Usually there is a bolt sticking out of the side of the base of the mast, which goes into a slot in the foot and turns, thus 'locking' the mast in. But there is nothing on this one. Anyone got any ideas? How can I hold the mast in so that it can turn through a minimum of 180 degrees? Lashings would just tighten up and stop the mast turning. Previous owner just shrugged, and implied that's how the mast gate got broken - since repaired.

Regards

Nick
J9

Post by J9 »

I seem to remember that the collar mast I once had had a pin that fitted in a slot at the front of the colar in the deck and rotated in a groove.
Do the sail controls not hold it all together, cunningham, Kicker etc
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Hello Nick,
You could always put a "bolt" or pin on the heel end of the mast and cut a corresponding slot in the lower heel bearing in the boat.
On most Needlespar masts the heel is a plastic plug which can be removed to gain access inside the mast far enough up to fix a bolt and then replace.OR there may well be a bearing on the mast too which can also be removed and to which a bolt or pin can be fixed. OR a swinging "gate" can be set up on the deck or deck bearing that can be swung across the bearing on the mast which should be flush when it is sitting in the boat and bolted down thus stopping the mast jumping up but not stopping it rotating
.I have a renovating an OK booklet with a clear line drawing of this set up which I could scan and email to you, although it fell out of favour some years ago. I will be at Frensham for the Frenzy so I could bring it with me as well.Check out the OK mast rake for some ideas? Plenty of different makes and vintages there if I recall.
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

P.S.
As an experienced Finn helm you more than likely know that sail contol lines will NOT keep the mast in the boat!!
Picture lightish winds,sailing by the lee on the run with no cunningham on,little or no kicker on and then there's a shifty puff and she's over.Sound familiar?
See you soon, Alan
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Or even check out the mast RACK for ideas. It's been a long day!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Nick
My old Pearson has the same problem. When I spoke to the Finn people about it they asked whether it had two holes on the forward side of the mast. On examining my boat it has, apparently there should be a plate which bolts though on one side and is screwed down at the other end. This is wide enough to just cover the edge of the collar and prevent the mast falling out on an inversion. However I've not gotten around to making a new plate yet.
Hope this helps. Regards Alan Finn 340
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Thanks Alan and Alan. I think the swinging 'bar' across the top of the mast ring at deck level is the answer. Should have thought of it myself.

Thanks again.

Nick
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Have changed my mind. After visiting the Finn stand at Ally Pally it appears that the thing to do is lead a bridle from the boat's mast ring over the boom fixing point, and back down to the mast ring. Simple and easy to rig. I also found out what the vertical tube going down about 12" under the deck is for. Simple when you think about it - consider what happens when the boat inverts.

Nick
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

With a Finn, you can get to the heel of the mast when the mast is in the boat then? This puts a different angle on things.Very convenient. No such luxuries with the OK. Or is it passed up from the Deck bearing ring on the mast?. Guess the 12" tube is to stop water flooding into the hull through the deck bearing as it will only enter the tube to the same level as the water outside the upturned hull.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Alan

I'm not an expert, but you can get to the heel. Unlike the OK, where I think the position of the heel is fixed, the Finn mast heel is carried in an adjustable track, which is wound forward or back to adjust mast rake. Combined with varying positions at deck level, at least on newer boats, this gives a lot of control. And yes, the tube stops water getting into the front of the boat, very useful where the boat does not have built in buoyancy in the front.

Nick