Alloy mast cleaning

share hints, tips and experiences
Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

Wow! thanks for the excellent response to my first query - so flushed with success I'll ask for more advice! This time it's green alloy mast syndrome (or should I be throwing it away and looking for a wooden one!). I'm simply looking for the correct treatment for said mast and a method of keeping it looking good to match the wonderful new paintwork I'll have after all the painting and varnishing advice.
Thanks in anticipation to all you helpful people - I'll be joining the assocation asap.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Will be interested to hear what people recommend. the only thing that has worked for me is a plastic scouring pad and some soft abrasive and then rubbing compound and then t-cut. All frequently washed down with power washer.

It's an horrible job....and one that I have to do before too long to!
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I'd love to find out any solutions too. I've got, in indelable pen, the old mast owners name on my new canoe mast!
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Glad I'm not the only one! As Ed says, scrub, scrub, scrub, and that only makes it look like an old, clean mast! I've given up, sold a boat and bought a new firefly mast with the money (and bought a cheaper boat...), because now I've got new decks, sods law said the mast I was hoping would break and claim for, but never did, will break and do a Chris!
What would spraying with aluminium paint do, do you think? I have a vision of it all cracking off as the mast flexes, but powder coating works. Anyone tried it?
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
Go to a car shop if you have a silver anodised mast. They sell a product which is used for smartening up alloy wheels. I used it alot on my Marcos it's called Silver Wheels it's a spray paint but a very good one. This used to do a fantastic job which was very hardwaring and could be touched up easily. I would suggest that you tried it out first to see if it gives you the finish required.

Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

Stu: try meths on indelible ink ( then carbon tet if meths is no good)

I've used power sprays effectively on old ali masts (with a cleaner if necessary). Depends if you want the 'as new' look or the 'elderly but dignified'

Thanx Rupert (cheeky bu--er)! I've patch my deck after the mast went through it but not too happy as the wood will take a few years to fade to the same colour (wish I'd redecked the bow section now - oh well I want to sail her this year not next!)