g4 sealer

share hints, tips and experiences
keithr

g4 sealer

Post by keithr »

I am stripping deck on new peggie for Jan race in London.

I am going to use g4 for the 1st time and need some advice

I gather I need clear?

How much for 3 coats??

I have found some at £13.95 a kilo, any cheaper anywhere?

Thanks in advance
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
chris

Post by chris »

If you don't fancy clear then try the black bitumous stuff they sell for ponds! couldn't be worse than green and red paint!!!!
14 quid sounds about the best price I found, except I did buy one tin that was old stock and found it was already solid - he did replace it for me though.
When you apply it apply thinly but don't expect it to brush out like varnish. It does like to be brushed out and it really doesn't like any dust residue to get the wood VERY clean first. If you try a roller it will disolve sponge rollers quiete quickly. I developed a technique of a quick application by roller followed by very swift brushing;laying out. But in the end settled with a brush. Choose a brushh a little stiffer than you might choose for real varnish.

h and don't think you can leave a brush in water overnight - it will be solid within an hour. Leave the brush in Olive oil or cooking oil. if you want.
chris

Post by chris »

Should read...
does NOT like to be brushed out...
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Same experience here. Once in a blue moon Lidl sell paint thinners in 1L tins. I have no idea what it is but my goodness it dissolves anything on a brush even when solid. Good for G4 too. It seems very volatile so brushes cleaned and rinsed dry pretty fast. Very quiet here tonight - must have been Shearwter AGM!!??
roger

Post by roger »

Keith my experience with G4 is that you have to make sure there are no runs or pools in corners it turns bubbly and white and doesnt seem to set.
I paid more than 14 quid and 1 litre/kg is plenty for the decks.
Cheaper than UCP!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Yep - the stuff that form pools just goes into something that sets to the point that it's like a silicon gasket material but never hardens and looks opaque too. So go easy with the amounts as it really is thin but then I guess that's why it penetrates so well.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Thanks for all those hints.

Chris ""How could you"""

Mind you I am old enough to remember graphite, paste on thick then sand it all off, black dust everywhere, what joy.

Back to the barn.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird
davidh

Post by davidh »

Keith...........

don't forget what came next - that aweful INternational 'go fast' high build that only came in pink. Spend a day wet and drying that and you certainly looked nice on your way home.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Smoothie pink - my favorite!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

They also did white and I still have several unopen cans that I kept just to use on foils.

Al
keithr

Post by keithr »

I also remember using pure beeswax polish, before the days of orbital polishers!!!!!!

I am intrigued as to where this thread is now going. :lol:
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Sunbird
davidh

Post by davidh »

Keith,

Not sure where it's going BUT..... there was also a time when rumour had it that if you left Fairey Liquid out in the sun, in a shallow tray, yuo soon ended up with a horrible sticky mess. If this was then rubbed onto the bottom of the boat the ploymers released added to the speed... or so the story went.

Well, always one for a good thing (a bit like putting silicon spray on teh sliding seat....) I did the bottom of the Contender, then sailed at Locks SC, in breeze, and found that after a capsize getting back onto the upturned hull was impossible......

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Yes Mummy, but I bet your hands were lovely and soft and there were bubbles for twice as long as a cheaper product !!!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sign of a cvrda sailor - spells the washing up liquid Fairey - as in marine rather than the christmas tree topping fairy :D