Centreboard case

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

How do you get the old varnish off the inside of a centreboard case while it is in situ. And what do you use to get it re-varnished?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Wow...I can't see how that is possible. Rubbing down with sandpaper on a thin piece of ply gives you enough scuffing to get new varnish to stick if the old is sound. I'll be interested in any replys, too. As for new varnish, in the past I've done it very thin and used a foam block to spread it. You don't get a very even finish, though. On one case I taped it up and filled it with linseed oil, which then soaked in/drained out through screw holes...Seemed to work, but was a bit of a bugger to clean up after...
Rupert
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

Why varnish inside the case? Thats a job for Danboline if I ever saw one. As to getting the varnish off, a big stainless steel pan scourer on the end of a stick will shift any deteriorated varnish pretty fast. If there is a few small areas of sound varnish, I would then consider chemical strippers, but if there is a lot of sound varnish, I'd just rough it up a bit. (the silver grey nylon panscourers again on a stick are ideal)

Then its thouroughly mask around the top of the case and the CB slot on the outside of the hull and apply Danboline with a radiator roller. When its well dried, you can decide if any of the inevitable rough spots need spot sanding with 120 grit W&D on a stick then give it another coat.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

What be Danboline? Sounds like a 1950's bed time drink!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Pretty much agree with Ian.....Danboline and radiator roller....and small brush with bent end attached to long bit of stiff wire.

All I can add is that to clean inside of box, I have used surform files attached to long bit of 10x50mm wood, you can pass this right through box and get someone to hold other end (horrible job) unless boat is on side. but it is good for stubborn paintwork.

What in my experience can be a problem is that even when you have cleared all paint out, you can find that the case is still tight due to it warping inwards. This can be a real pain....old fairey cases are particularly prone to it.

I tend to clean all paint/varnish....surform out a bit....then jam bits of ply in to try and stretch out....then seal all with woodseal/thinned epoxy/SP300....then paint. But this is far from always sucsessful.

Anybody else got any ideas.

I have to admit that when I look at old boats, if I see a solid mahogany case,it is a major plus point as they are much easier to deal with than ply cases!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it