Question about OK's

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Question about OK's

Post by Rupert »

Do OK's come up dry after a capsize, please? Maybe Stu knows?!
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Hi Rupert,

No, they don't.

Are you thinking of getting one?
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert.... in an OK?

Sorry, not allowed! I'm sure there will be SOMETHING in the rules to prevent it!

THinks...................................................

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just an idle winter thought about what to sail next...when they come up, are they completely swamped, Firefly style (this is why I sold the Solo) or is there just a pool in the bottom that drains while you sail?
It would make more sense to sail a Laser at Whitefriars, as I already have a couple of CVRDA qualifying boats, but I'd get bored with nothing to fiddle with...There's always another Minisail, I guess!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

WSC School club had an OK - I sailed a lot when I was your sort of weight.

It was a composite boat, and came up after capsize fairly dry - certainly not swamped. The OK is about 95% tank of course! We had two self bailers in the floor and they would dry the cockpit on the beat.

If you get one can I have a try pleaseeeee!

john./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
nprice

Post by nprice »

The Solo will only come up swamped if you have your weight on it when you capsize, ie climb over onto the centreboard. If you fall in the water and then right it without getting all your weight on the board, it should come up vertually dry. That has been my extensive experience!
Nick
Nick
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

certainly not swamped, but quite a lot of water inside. I've only really capsized once, in not a great deal of wind (still not quite sure how or why I capsized either). It did drain relatively quickly, considering the wind strength.

I did have bungs in the drain holes between the front tank and cockpit which helped in this instance.

I really enjoy my OK, but it is harder work than I ever imagined !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

nprice wrote:The Solo will only come up swamped if you have your weight on it when you capsize, ie climb over onto the centreboard. If you fall in the water and then right it without getting all your weight on the board, it should come up vertually dry. That has been my extensive experience!
Nick
I'm hydrophobic...the idea of sailing is that you stay above the water, even when the boat turns sideways...otherwise I'd have taken up swimming. Doesn't always work, of course, but that is the ideal I start with!
Rupert
RichardB2

Post by RichardB2 »

The OK doesnt really fill up too drastically after a capsize and drains really easily, I know of a lot worse. Have a look at the OK Dinghy website and ask the question there as well, either way the OK is a delight to sail.

Richard

OK 1946
MR 908
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

you'll have to avoid the Finn then! get one of those swamped and you'll be swimming on the INSIDE!

D
David H
nprice

Post by nprice »

Rupert wrote:
nprice wrote:The Solo will only come up swamped if you have your weight on it when you capsize, ie climb over onto the centreboard. If you fall in the water and then right it without getting all your weight on the board, it should come up virtually dry. That has been my extensive experience!
Nick
I'm hydrophobic...the idea of sailing is that you stay above the water, even when the boat turns sideways...otherwise I'd have taken up swimming. Doesn't always work, of course, but that is the ideal I start with!
Oh dear, another Laser sailor in the offing! :wink:
Nick
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I started sailing in 1979, and I've avoided owning one this long...But I have a Firefly if I want a paddling pool, and there we generally have 2 of us with buckets to get rid of the water! The Tonic was excellent for coming up dry with it's double bottom, but capsized so quickly it was virtually impossible to react quickly enough not to fall in. Made Laser death rolls seem like the QE2...
I've yet to tip the Skol Moth in (oddly...) but she will be fine. Maybe I should concentrate on the Moth after all, and save a boat parking space...
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Rupert,

You are always welcome to have a go in mine, whenever you want.

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Stu, that is a very kind offer. I sailed Alan's in very light winds at Bowmoor once, but it wasn't windy enough to get a "feel" for the boat.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have just got the Firefly and find out that it can capsize - why was I not warned!!