Sandng

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Sandng

Post by Garry R »

To get the Firefly hull back to something reasonable I have had to use 80grit sandpaper but wondered what you would finish off to get reasonably smooth with before starting on the varnishing?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

nothing finer than 120 or so.

to be honest unless it felt very rough, I would most probably go with it as is. I don't like sanding too much...I get woried about going through the veneer.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Thanks for that Ed. I have to admit that I have had to be fairly robust to get the hull clean but certainly there is plenty of wood left and certainly no way I have gone through a layer. I am hoping to get the outside finished before the weekend and she will be turned over and the inside jobs done. I'll be glad to see the back of blue paint!! Now ready to sell my shares in Nitromors now they have peaked!! I also presume that once the varnish builds up any sanding will smooth and roughish bits and the layers buils up nicely
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

in my experience, the places you have to be careful about getting a bit thin on the veneers is at the very end/edge of hull where it overlaps transom....and along the sides of the bilge runners/strips outside the hull. Both places seem to attract over-sanding if you are not careful

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I would agree - that's where the muck seems to lurk!!
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

In my workshop at the moment is K349, a rather nice Raudaschl Finn and is an example of over sanding

At some point someone has taken a belt sander to the decks and the vaneer is very thin in place....and non existant in a few

the tape on the transom is covering the new piece I've let in. you can see the rippling on the side decks. the rear deck is as good as I can get it - I just daren't sand it any more

6" of the foredeck vaneer had been replaced badly in the past.....and this took 3 goes to get right

In all there's 5 vaneer repairs - luckily I found a leaf of mahagony on ebay, and once varnished the colour match is OK.

Hopefully this one will be ready for Baltic Wharf.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah yes....the belt sander is a wonderful tool.....

as long as you know what it can do....and what it can't.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Rupert - so glad to see that my workshop tidiness is of a comparable standard to everyone else's!! I won't worry about showing photos now!!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

OOps - sorry Rupert it's Neil's workshop!!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Gosh, that is tidy by my standards!

But at least mine is dry!!!! which is more than can be said for my dining-room

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

there is a plan to reroof the workshop over easter as the leaks are getting worse and it does get rather damp in there - but at least it stopped my clinker boat from drying out.

The roof panels were guarenteed for six years....that was eight years ago......but apparently I have to finish the house before sorting the workshop. As if that's going to happen.

I think it's the only workshop with guttering in the inside to move the water around.

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

My workshop was full of paint scraping, junk and general horribleness until the weekend, when I (with 7 year old help) cleared it out. Now, apart from the paint scrapings and other floor sweepings, everything is in the shed, piled high and in a mess, so all I really achieved was moving the mess 10 feet sideways...and now I'm going to strip a Puffin, so there will be paint (or feathers?) everywhere again...
Love the Finn, Neil!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ed wrote:Ah yes....the belt sander is a wonderful tool...
Mine's used very lightly now - the Random orbital is the weapon of choice these days...

PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Stop making us jealous Neil! Reminds me how much work I need to do on my Finn, but as I cannot fit it into my garage I have to wait for better weather, and then I seem to want to sail instead.....

Devoti mast gate? Does this mean the Pata's just been bought to supply a donor rig?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Ahhh....the Devoti Mast ring - the truth is the vaneer and ply substrate around the mast gate was nonexistent and needed sorting out (someone had put expanding foam in around the mast gate).

It was easier to put the mast ring kit on as could I cut then out all the dodgy vaneer......and Victor boats gave me a very good deal on the kit as they are pulling out of Finns.

The Pata is going well, only sailed her twice thanks to the weather.

The Fairey boat has now been sold and should soon be off to Norfolk to a Fairey fan in March.

Neil