Best Varnish for interior and decks

share hints, tips and experiences
3279n12

Best Varnish for interior and decks

Post by 3279n12 »

as the title says, what is the best varnish for interior and decks of my national 12? looking for that deep glassy look.

also any tips for removing the old varnish and applying the new?

one more thing, what would be a good varnish for a clear coat over the painted hull?

thanks
JimC

Re: Best Varnish for interior and decks

Post by JimC »

3279n12 wrote:as the title says, what is the best varnish for interior and decks of my national 12? looking for that deep glassy look.
also any tips for removing the old varnish and applying the new?
one more thing, what would be a good varnish for a clear coat over the painted hull?
What's on there already? Two pot is probably best for that "layer of plastic film" look you see at the shows, if that's what you want, but it won't like going over anything else.
If the old vanish is good then leave it, just sand down very aggressively. Every time you take the boat back to bare wood you lose a bit more ply off the surface, and if your ply is a nice but thin stripey veneer it doesn' t take too long before you're right through it.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I cover much of this in the 'hints'n'tips' section.....

Its pretty hard to give recommendations.....

but, 2-pack is great in some places and if that is what you want.....but is harder to use....

modern single packs are pretty hard....and pretty easy to use and gets my vote for most jobs

traditional single-packs are soft and good for boats that want that kind of varnish....and are easy to use.

Personally, I spend more time worrying about the 'primer' or 'sealer' than the varnish....but maybe that is just me.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure what you mean about putting a clear layer over the paint? I'm not aware of any varnish that is so transparant that you wouldn't know it was there, (apart from car lacquer, I suppose) and if that is the aim, a new coat of paint would surely make more sense?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Clear layer over paint is the classic coach builders finish you can get clear one part or two part varnishs/lacquers, without the varnish golden colour in them.

Removing varnish think physical, (sandpaper or scraper.) not heat or chemicals, I've posted about the Walnut Shell Blaster before! Fantastic but hard to source in UK.

I've just had a fantastic job done professionally they used Clear Awlgrip in the priming and build up coats then three final coats of Varnish, I don't think brand is as important as how its done but I will say AWLGRIP is worth the money. It lasts a long long time.

Good Luck.
Simples.