Winter meeting and prizegiving - who's coming

Chat about CVRDA events
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

For the winter do / prizegiving I am trying to sort out a suitable place to eat on the saturday evening. Before I approach some placed I thought I'd ask what would be preferable.

I thought a room or section of wherever selected would be better, especially as we are to be giving prizes etc.

Would you prefer Pub style food, or restauranty type food. What sort of price would you be thinking of paying, say..two courses, per person.

We have approached one restaurant who would let us have the top floor of heir restaurant (but this would require minimum numbers, and need sorting very soom!!) 3 courses fixed price menu £25 (i think?)

Finally, accomodation. I am very scared about booking rooms for people as I have done this before and lost quite a bit of money, but - There are a number of 'express' type hotels at the head of the docks in bristol, near the restaurant i mentioned, and easy to find (right by Temple meads railway station). They have said a group rate would be available if I had an idea of numbers.

Once again though - To sort a restaurant / pub / other and hotels I am going to have to move very quickly, and obviously have some dosh up front.

Please let me know if you are coming, or if you know of others who are coming but do not visit this forum.

Please let me know your preference and cost thoughts for food.

Please let me know if you would be thinking about staying in a express type hotel.

If you want to call me, email me and I'll send you my telephone number.
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

We're up for it. Restuarant sounds a good idea, as is the Express hotel, though with Tideway I'd prefer a Sedate hotel. I've been told if the weather is really bad <i>we can always go to IKEA</i>, how excited am I?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

Lois and Chris for sailing, noshing, and overnighting please.
Food....well.... an Arctic vegan restaurant with Viking/Iceland or Tasmanian owners would be perfect. Failing that anything goes!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'll have to confirm Kathryn's intentions when she gets back from America on Sat, but pub style food and less than £20 a head would be my option, with probebly the hotel. Best thing for the hotel, to not leave you liable, is to publish the details and then let people book it themselves. This seems to have worked for the last couple of years. The hotel may still give a discount if people say they are with the Budden party, or some such.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
Agree with Rupert.
Cheers Al
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

hey we dont mind what food and will book own hotel there will be about 3-4-5-7 of us not quite sure definatly 3
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Pat

Post by Pat »

We'll sail and probably nosh.

Neil:
IKEA + Bad Weather + Weekend = Crowded Hell
(Don't do it - best time there is 8pm-10pm Monday-Wednesday)
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Anyway there's no chandlery in Ikea.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Best time in IKEA is 10pm - 6am any day!!!!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Looks as if Mark Jones and I are sailing the Royal Yacht. I hope it has taken up enough after being kept undercover for over a year other wise we will be sinking. So expect Me, Shona, Mark, Jane and loads of dogs. Prefer pub option.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

As I've just been given a boat (thank you Mark!) more suitable for the docks than the ToY, and in need of a sail before the re-build, I shall be there sailing singlehanded. Still not sure of our evening plans, but will be coming back to Greatfield at the end of it, rather than Hotelling.
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

NP Rupert, very glad she has a good home, she also know her way around Baltic Wharf, I even won there with the red and white sail.... Providing I can get leave, I will be there with 515, but will also be coming home after
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Pat

Post by Pat »

This was posted on the Merlin forum but is worth sharing before a Bristol event :-)

Whilst speaking to Anthony Evans about the Soo named boats and the 1950s at BCYC he told me a nice story about a coronation race in the Bristol docks where Mike Pruett lived and had a company. Apparently the organisers used rather large guns on top of the high wharf wall. One boat was a premature starter and had the scorch marks on the mainsail to prove it.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

im sure someone has already said this but could not find a replay so is there somewhere avaible for keeping them boats?
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Yep, the previous reply said the compound is lockable, and that the thought that the residents of Bristol are a bunch of tealeaves as completely unfounded...at least, thats how I read it!
Rupert