Nationals 2012.

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: Nationals 2012.

Post by Rupert »

http://www.appleacres.co.uk/www.appleac ... fo.php?p=2

http://www.manorcourtfarm.co.uk/camping/

The 2 links above too promising, though each must be 10 or so miles away. Appleacres has a no children policy, but allows dogs!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

We aim to arrive friday pm. too, with tent and merlin. Is it OK to stay monday night as my daughter is arriving from teaching sailing in Spain in Folkstone on Tuesday and wants collecting? ( then she's off crewing a tall ship from Amsterdam to the Antarctic...= 14th gap year!!)

Hopefully there will be some extra Merlins on Sunday joining in our races and will count for their travellers series.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well I was looking forward to coming but now I cannot see how it will be possible. I was planning on staying in the area for the week but we would need to bring the dog and, as they aren't even allowed in vehicles on the site we would not even be able to use our camper van.
Very disappointed, but hope you have a good time.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Nikky and I are coming. We will arrive on Saturday morning and will be camping. The pooches are going to the in laws. I am tempted to bring both moths because it isn't much hassle and I can't decide which to bring.

Nik has offered to make a video a bit like the Hunts one, if people are keen. She wonders if it might be doing some sections where people talk about their boats as well as doing some action on the water stuff. Let me know if you would like her to do this - she will have the camera etc with her anyway.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Will Nikki be wearing her official uniform? Including the hat?

Be good to see you both and the a video would be great.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

she is going straight from bbsc to the paralympics, so the uniform is being pressed (badly) and preserved for its next tv appearance! The hat is a weird mix of awesome and awful!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nessa, Ian (Spiderman) Marshall is trying to decide which of his Moths to bring. Like you, he has old style and winged. Probably makes sense for you to both bring similar. Mind, if you bring both, it would solve the problem.

Following a chat with Ian, I've been looking into the problem of giving corrrect handicaps to 1984/85 International Moths - the Magnum 5 and early 6 vintage, which just get under the cut off date. As far as I can work out, something in the region of 92 would seem not far off, probably dropping a little for using Mylar sails, if that seems appropriate at the time - it may not, if the original boats were using them - but if anyone has any experience with handicapping this age of boat in the real world, please let me know!

Peter, that is a great shame if you can't make it - I was really looking forward to seeing you out in the Finn, especially having missed racing against you at Clywedog. We will have to make sure the 2013 Nats go somewhere which allows dogs...
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

This dog friendly site is pretty close and escaped from my initial search:-

http://www.availablepitch.com/cgi-bin/A ... y&site=582
Harrier 25
505 7163
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thank you for your continued searches on this, Trevor. That one appears to be a 15 minute drive away, which may be better for some. Still leaves the problem of what to do with dogs in the day time, but makes being dropped off of a morning whilst other halves have an enjoyable (what, we won't?!) day out with the dog a possibility?
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Note that there is no camping allowed on the monday night.It will all be locked up.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hello again,
I have decided to come along to Bough Beech after all, however, due to the problems associated with bringing our four legged friend I will be coming on my own and spending a bit less time there than originally planned. As hinted at by Rupert I have elected to bring my Magnum 6 Int Moth which prior to Saturday had not seen the water for a good few years. Thankfully nothing broke and the test sail provided me with a rather stark reminder of just how tricky to sail even relatively old Moths like the 6 are to sail! I am pleased to note that Nessa is still coming with one or more Moths and I am hoping that some sort of bright light or maybe a full moon might attract a few more...? Any takers from Jim C, Tom or Max for example? As Rupert has said, it would be nice to know who is planning to come and what they are bringing. Jim, Have you got your "Frankenboat Skol" seaworthy again following your alarming discovery, it would be very interesting to see it and try to work out what the thinking was behind the modification?
Regards
Ian M
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Ian,

I am sorry, I can't go, I am out at Guernsey for the 'trophee des isles' this weekend, otherwise I would love to go. Have never done a nationals before, and I hope to do one eventually!

Anyway, I hope you have a good time,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

Spiderman wrote:Have you got your "Frankenboat Skol" seaworthy again following your alarming discovery,
yeah, I'm planning to turn up on Sunday at least with the unSkol. I suspect that with the new underside she's rather lower rocker and more like an early Magnum in shape, so its not too hard to see the motivation, and that sort of thing wasn't very unsual on ply Moths and Cherubs, its just I've not seen this sort of mod on a glass boat before. I don't know I'd describe it as alarming, I've just got to remember that I need to maintain her as a wood boat, not a glass one, especially when it comes to storing with hatches off etc.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Just a reminder that if you wanted CVRDA Nationals kit it would be best to order asap:-

http://www.waveclothing.co.uk/club-kit/ ... l-clothing

Polo shirts are £12.99 and T shirts £9.99 so a bargain.

Having checked with the club Galley at the weekend there will usually be a choice of 3 evening main courses at around £4.00. Breakfast and lunch at equally keen prices.

Anybody who needs access to the club before Saturday morning should PM me for details.

Trevor
Harrier 25
505 7163
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have ordered a whole wardrobe's worth of kit.

I am still intending to bring both moths but the magnum might not even make the water before Saturday so I have no idea how it will hold up. It will also be much beyond my capacity for more than short stints at a time, so I'll be happy for others to have a go.

Is there a best way to transport the wings? If I put them in the car there is no space for passengers, so I guess I have to strap them to the boat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World