Introductions

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
FDGorilla

Re: Introductions

Post by FDGorilla »

I'm James. Easily recognizable due to being 6'10''. My involvement with CVRDA is Rog's fault having met him via 'Fastsail' (great idea that unfortunately seems to have faltered a bit).

Started life crewing Dad's Merlin - 3031 which he still owns - at Hamble. I have vague memories of balancing on the centreboard case capping putting the spinnaker pole on! Then did Mirrors, 470, contenders, OK's and there was a Topper in there at some point. Crewed FD's for what seems an inordinately long time and got quite reasonable. Then started crewing 5Ouch's (505's have low booms when you're my size). Had back issues and a family arrived so stopped sailing for a little while.

I did a couple of CVRDA events with an OK (yes, there's loads of room under the boom). Borrowed Big Al's Finn at Roadford - I can't remember how the deal was brokered or who's fault it was - loved it and now look after GBR417 which is Brookseys old Vanguard. She's raced at Warsash and made to look horribly slow by the modern boats - this probably has more to do with my incompetence and state of fitness than the hull though! Work keeps getting in the way of sailing, particularly at CVRDA and classic Finn Events - if anyone knows of a 'Winter sport' Stadium that needs management do let me know!
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
brownie

Post by brownie »

Hello Paul Brown here located in Swindon, just purchased Solo 1500 and considering which local club to join, currently South Cerney appears to have a decent Solo fleet.

Hope to be at one of the CVRDA events this year. :)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Hey Paul, think about coming to the event at Whitefriars at the end of March - 24th & 25th. There are other cvrda members there, and it is very local to you, plus there will be a training day.

and welcome!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
brownie

Post by brownie »

Hello Nessa,

Unfortunately I've no road trailer and it is also unlikely I will have my hands on the boat by then. It was a bit over my orginal budget, although worth it being in beautifull condition, so I'm currently saving up for the membership fees so the current owner is kindly looking after the boat until I'm ready and he'll deliver it.

I will however be there as a spectator and if anyone wants a well nourished crew, just say. :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Paul,

don't think you need a boat to join in the training day. I believe the plan is to use some of the Whitefriars club boats (for a small fee). It is on the training day thread somewhere.

Some of us are bringing an odd collection of boats but they are for extra-curricular activites :D
roger

Post by roger »

FDGorilla wrote:I'm James. Easily recognizable due to being 6'10''. My involvement with CVRDA is Rog's fault having met him via 'Fastsail' (great idea that unfortunately seems to have faltered a bit).

Started life crewing Dad's Merlin - 3031 which he still owns - at Hamble. I have vague memories of balancing on the centreboard case capping putting the spinnaker pole on! Then did Mirrors, 470, contenders, OK's and there was a Topper in there at some point. Crewed FD's for what seems an inordinately long time and got quite reasonable. Then started crewing 5Ouch's (505's have low booms when you're my size). Had back issues and a family arrived so stopped sailing for a little while.

I did a couple of CVRDA events with an OK (yes, there's loads of room under the boom). Borrowed Big Al's Finn at Roadford - I can't remember how the deal was brokered or who's fault it was - loved it and now look after GBR417 which is Brookseys old Vanguard. She's raced at Warsash and made to look horribly slow by the modern boats - this probably has more to do with my incompetence and state of fitness than the hull though! Work keeps getting in the way of sailing, particularly at CVRDA and classic Finn Events - if anyone knows of a 'Winter sport' Stadium that needs management do let me know!
Yep my fault. I still wonder how James folded that 6`10 frame into the front of the Hornet on a light day at Roadford. Somehow he got between the sliding seat and the foredeck. I learnt a lot that day thanks to James.

oh and James "got quite reasonable" includes a couple of National Championships in the FD and leading the fleet of 5ouches round the windward mark at the Hayling Island world champs a few years ago. Very generous with his time and knowledge and very modest.
Be good to see you at some events this year James. Tobes may be bringing his Hornet to the Holt do so see if you can borrow or beg a Holt boat for that event.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Brownie,

I am at South Cerney. And there is a large Solo fleet. Thats why my lad has bought a British Moth : )

As a bit of a fair weather sailor, I have not yet started my season.

Be there at the end of March with my old National 12 when the club 'full wet/dry suit' rule expires.

If I cant sail in shorts and a T-shirt then I'll stay off the water....April 1st then.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are a couple of good solo sailors at Whitefriars, but no fleet, really. Do pop on down at the end of March - I'm sure we can get you on the water!
Rupert
brownie

Post by brownie »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:I am at South Cerney. And there is a large Solo fleet.
Hello Stephen, the Solo fleet being the reason I picked South Cerney, I've an appointment with Pam Weeks next weekend so soon after I'll be able to say hello. :D

Hello Rupert, I've looked through the results for Whitefriars and noticed a couple of Solo's hence why looking for a larger fleet. :D
Phantomman

Post by Phantomman »

Hi my name is Marcus and although I don't own a classic sailing dinghy anymore (phantom), I have had ok's, mirrors, n12. Etc. recently I moved house and for the sale to go through I had to spend 3 months living at the in-laws. Fortunately I get on really well with them, and after about a month my father in-law told me he would like to start sailing. He used to crew for a friend in a merlin rocket when he was a teenager but gave it up after getting married.

So here is how I'm into classics, more as a classical advisor than owner. My club up river yc have some rotting mirror so I got one for him and he started doing it up to use, within a month it's was saved and that project was complete. So he then decides to build a boat so I convince him to do a solo (not thinking it was going to really happen). Anyhow I move into my new place and as I pop up to visit and borrow tools etc this beautiful craft is forming.

One day my wife gets a call from her mother, he's only gone and bought another boat, and your husband is completely responceable, oh the dreaded eBay it's so easy to be tempted and before you know it your off to Kent to pick up a clapped out seamark nunn solo. Now with three boats and zero sailing the new build slows down as the old solo gets restored, my mother in-laws a boat widow and my father in-laws a boatist.

Well it all kicked off again and the dreaded eBay convinced him to go to Norwich an purchase a 1962ish Leader #122. After world war three the mirror got sold and we are back to three.

I can see I probably won't be allowed to stay again but now have a new sailing buddy. Please forgive my apparent lack of grammar and spelling I only use an iPhone for surfing the net
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Marcus,

welcome to the cvrda!

Sounds like you'll have plenty of boats to borrow if you decide to pop along to an event!

Are you going to come and play at being a Lightning sailor again this year?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome. Of course the leader, the Mirror and the solo are all Holt boats. if any one of them is floatable it would be great to see you at Wraysbury Holt Cenenary on 7th and 8th July. Condition is unimportant.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Welcome Marcus, should you ever wish to go back inot classic phantoms I have K88 here in my garden waiting for a loving restorative hand.

Nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

Roger: when Holt designed the leader...was that when he changed his name to Mace or Pollard then?
Phantomman

Post by Phantomman »

Cheers guys,

Rupert there is absolutely no chance of much sailing for me, my wife is about to give birth to our second child anyday now, so unless I want world war four to happen then it's def off I'm afraid. Btw up rivers fleet is expanding we must have about 14 again. Aswell as two club boats.