What does everyone else do with their sails?

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Merlin3241

What does everyone else do with their sails?

Post by Merlin3241 »

Our youth is complaining- something about not being able to get into his bedroom 'cos we're storing some of our sails in his room. One suit each for the Firefly, Buzz, Wagtail, a few spare Merlin kites and jibs and a Wanderer genoa out of a wardrobe of more than fifty sails now doesn't seem an unfair share. He doesn't have a single Merlin or Wanderer main or N12 sail, they're all in the garage/shed/other bedrooms & summerhouse (with three Firefly suits, four more Merlin suits, three N12 suits, Wanderer mains and kites). I can't bear to part with any of them, I'm sure they'll be useful at some stage. Is this normal behaviour or a CVRDA record?
SoggyBadger

Re: What does everyone else do with their sails?

Post by SoggyBadger »

Are we talking about normal "normal" or CVDRA "normal"?
Best wishes

SB
roger

Post by roger »

Dont know what is where but...

Hornet, fireball, gp, minisail, sails(various suits of varied ages) are stored. Under the bed in the spareroom, over the bed in a cupboard in our room, in the cupboard under the stairs, under the desk in the office, and in a cupboard in the Angies workroom.
Centre boards rudders sliding seats, in the garage/boatshed, garden shed,
Boats in the Garden under the hedge,(minisail) In my sons yard(fireball), In Garrys shed(Hornet) In a farmers barn(GP),
Oh just remembered the Lark sails as well currently in the shed but need to be moved.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Have you a stair well wall you can hang some from?
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Two big deep shelves in the garage are the official home of all the sails, but there isn't enough space so they can also be found draped across the saw bench, in whatever boat is under cover and has become a skip, or just plonked wherever in the garage! Or on loan to ex-Commodores of course!
Rudders mainly go in or by a tea chest against the wall and masts go outside across two tressles.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Rule one. When buying a new house specify a double garage but tell the estate agent you're not worried how big the bouse is. This confuses them no end.
Then Finn masts and Enterprise masts fit diagonally and you can (just) get all 6 in. Make a rack for the 6booms and use the garage loft for 9 sets of sails. And thats just for 2 cvrda boats.
Rule 2. If you have more than 2 cvrda boats ask the estate agent for 2 double garages and no house.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

PeterV wrote:Rule one. When buying a new house specify a double garage but tell the estate agent you're not worried how big the bouse is. This confuses them no end.
Then Finn masts and Enterprise masts fit diagonally and you can (just) get all 6 in. Make a rack for the 6booms and use the garage loft for 9 sets of sails. And thats just for 2 cvrda boats.
Rule 2. If you have more than 2 cvrda boats ask the estate agent for 2 double garages and no house.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have wondered whether the 4 of us could live in the garage and give the house over to the boats - usually at about this time of year, when things start needing storing.
Rupert
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

I knew a bloke who, together with his newly betrothed, had to climb over his BSA DBD34 clubman goldstar in order to reach the marital bed!

I could get the finn in through the french doors for a quick re-varnish in the through lounge...wouldn't get away with it though!

Everything sailing is consigned to the garages and shed; out of sight.
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Demon

Post by Demon »

Most of my sails for various boats are kept in the garage, while the decent Laser and 420 sails are constantly rolled and kept in my motor (i can lay them rolled front to back on the floor) for ease of use each week :wink:
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

I use half dozen garden trellises - the long narrow ones - suspended one beneath each other from one side of the boat store (my wife persists in calling it a garage for some reason) roof. It doesn't take too much width off the 'garage' (there's still enough space for two stacked Fireballs and a collection of booms on the other side) and each trellis has enough room for two, sometimes three, rolled sails. Spinnakers hang off the ends.

I once almost bought a very average town house with a triple garage - fully plumbed and wired - beneath it. Unfortunately my girlfriend of the time wasn't so keen. Something about it being right next to a railway line........

Chris Turner
FBs 6, 66 & 14463
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

A couple of 10'long 16" diamater tubes with lids either end for rolled sails and a 6' * 4' * 2' Plastic cabinet with 5 shelves for folded sails. Plus a shed.

anything to keep the mice and rates away
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

anything to keep the mice and rates away
Are the Devon council that quick to tax you then Neil? :D
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Attics and roof spaces are nice and dry-so is under the piano in the lounge but I get told off from time to time. I have quite a collection of cotton sails too so they are either in sail bags in the loft or even in plastic tubs with lids - at least you fold cotton sails up!
They need to be bone dry before putting them away. So after sailing with them they drape around the conservatory for a few days, but there is no heating there. Next choice is looped around the kitchen on the cupboard door handles. Probably the best way to dry the cotton sails ( but is quite awkward) is to hoist them up an old mast, bit of tension on the luff, prop the mast horizontally perhaps on a ladder against a wall for one end, then a few weights along the leach to get the shape good. I can just do this in my workshop and a dehumidifier dries them well.

For storage don't foget about rats and mice in sheds, moths in buildings.
roger

Post by roger »

chris wrote: moths in buildings.
and old pianos I believe Chris :)
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353