Chichester next.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Re: Chichester Holt celebration

Post by chris »

Lois and I are going with merlin 507. Anyone else?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well done Chris and Lois in Merlin 507 Spriteful for a very good showing at the Chichester Holt event. When I talk of the good showing I do not mean the boat, nor the good sailing skills shown by our two sailors in a rapidly building breeze BUT.... more a case of the other CVRDA-ite...who was working with the BBC, noted that the camerman was filming them sailing upwind - with a clear gap visibile between Lois's sailing top and her sailing trousers. Now we're all far too gentlemanly to make mention of this but if anyone wants to see the X rated bit of the wardrobe malfunction then make a date for BBC South at 6.30 tomorrow night!

I'm sure that there will be good coverage of this event.... a top class weekend with superb organisation. But more importantly, Chichester YC really took on the whole ethos of a Holt celebration with an impressive decoration of the whole club house; Many bars have a mirror behind the bar, their's had a mirror in the bar! 2 m high wall posters, displays of jacks boats upstairs and down. So, now the focus on Holt can turn to Wraysbury in July. If there is a lesson to be learnt from Chichester it is that 'variety is the spice of life'; numbers alone do not tell the whole story.

Personally, I found it sad (in some ways bordering on shameful) that in the heartline of the Hornet, not one of these boats, nor any representative from the Hornet Class, could somehow find the time or interest to make an appearance. With the strong media presence on hand this should have been a gift to Classes - yet the Hornet failed that test!

But classic boats seem to be really on a roll.....

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

Unfortunately we can't get BBC south so Lois' cheeks are not blushing!

It was a good weekend and thanks to CYC for putting it on. Lois and I came away with second place in the fast fleet much to our satisfaction. But I'm sure DH will point out just how many finishers there were in that fleet so we were very near the back too!

Lovely venue too and it was lovely to meet Sue Holt who thought here father would be very surprised at all the fuss.