Whitefriars Spring Training 23/24 March!

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Whitefriars Spring Training 23/24 March!

Post by Rupert »

Here are some early ideas for the spring training event at Whitefriars. The emphasis will be on having a fun weekend where we all learn lots about getting a boat round a race course, whatever the starting level.

WSC now has a new kitchen, and will be offering pre-booked cooked lunches. My aim is to be able (like normal) to offer a complete price for each day of approx £10 for singlehanders and a tiny bit more for doublehanders, including the price of the lunch, but I am currently waiting for an idea of what the lunch prices will be, as this will be WSC's first event offering this service. Please let me know if you are interested in the concept of a cooked lunch each day on principle, please, to give me a rough idea of numbers to pass back.

Rough plan:

Saturday spent breaking a race down into its componant parts, going from making sure the boat is rigged properly, through the pre-start, the start, first beat, windward mark rounding, reaching, gybe mark rounding, running, leeward mark rounding, finishing. The idea will be to break these up into bite sized sections that can be learnt easily, and practiced once back sailing on your own waters.

Sunday will be spent stringing these parts together into a complete race. In fact, many mini races, to maximise the number of manouvers you need to do!

If there is anything in particular you wish to concentrate on, please let me know.

I’ll look into booking a pub for tea nearer the time, but the Old George in South Cerney does excellent pub grub, so is currently favorite. For brave souls, camping is possible if the field isn’t a swamp, and campervans in the carpark will be fine.

Otherwise, there are B&B’s nearby, and Travelodge/Premier Inn hotels a 5 minute drive away. I’ll find the details again a little nearer the time, if people want them.

This will be an interactive weekend, I hope, with lots of input from everybody, rather than just me.I hope we will be able to provide help for sailors of all levels, from racing beginners to those looking for extra speed round the course.

The CVRDA will be joined by the Minisail CA. Senior Instructor John Andrews, who some of you will have met at Whitefriars before, will also be helping with the coaching.
Rupert
Lukey T

Re: Whitefriars Spring Training 23/24 March!

Post by Lukey T »

Sounds good. Should have 2 merlins there if me and dad can get crews.

I'll be there regardless.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

my year looks a bit chaotic at the moment as I'm waiting for dates for another course I'm doing - I can't set anything in stone until I know all that, so I'm not yet sure if I can get to this. If I can I will aim to bring a double hander - kestrel or L2k - and will be very happy to take out any novice helms or crews who want some in-boat coaching in any aspects of racing, kite work, whatever.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Weather and work allowing Angie and I will be brinigng Keto. I am sure Angie would appreciate some proper coaching from someone who knows what they are talking about.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

roger wrote:Weather and work allowing Angie and I will be brinigng Keto. I am sure Angie would appreciate some proper coaching from someone who knows what they are talking about.
That will be John or Nessa, then?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

yeah dont listen to me I have no bits of paper to prove I can sail let alone teach someone.

and I havent broken a boat since August
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have askewd for cover for the Saturday, no reply as yet but to be honest if no one else steps up I will simply cancel (all kinds of politics) Now, I harbour secret ambitions that her indoors will eventually see the light and get hold of a BM, but in the meantime could she bring her Byte CII? She is a complete novice racer but this kind of supportive environment might just see her take part. If she does I can either bring a 2000 or a moth, depending on what you'd like me to do. Also happy to bring video kit for coahcing with. Makes for great post training entertainment.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I would like to say I would take part, in the yet to be sailed Minisail, unfortunately ambitions to venture further afield are thwarted by difficulties getting respite from Carer duties. Also I have asked for a post Physio assessment as to capability health wise, to resume sailing after well over a year.
So it seems whilst I had some issues with my club, it is 10 minutes down the road, so I am not too far away and to not rejoin would be akin to a shot in both feet, I will aim to be at the Nationals, at least. (Either in the Sprite or Firefly...)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry to hear you can't make it, Gavin - look forward to seeing you later in the year.

Nessa - a Byte CII would be welcome - we can make all kinds of comparisons with the Megabyte Nigel is bringing!

Video equipment would be great, thanks, but I'd not expect you to sit in a coaching boat for the weekend... If you bring a Moth to sail, I'd love a quick go at some point! Is the Yellow Peril up and running at the mo'?

Coaching-wise, some on the land help with hints and tips during the briefs and de-briefs would be great, and an eye kept open as to what people are getting up to on the water if you happen to be nearby.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I`m not working that weekend so may come up for a day. Unfortunately Angie wont be able to sail this year so I may be looking for someone to sail with who is prepared to take the blame.... after all thats what crews are for isnt it.

My daughter will be have first refusal but I will shout if I need someone. I am more than willing to sit at the front of someone elses boat as well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We can find you a boat, Roger - after all, being a training event, we can always launch the Lightning if nothing else comes up. Think you'd like her!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am very used to spending all day in a coach boat.....but if I can I will bring the more stable of the two low riders. The Yellow Peril is still in hibernation and will need work when it comes out. I'm very happy for people to have a go in the moth - it is one of the easier ones, but still 'challenging'.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

I am hoping to bring the new(old) Merlin and learn how she goes but if it doesnt work out I will let you know. If the lightning is out I would love a go but dont get her out on my behalf.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I hope Nicki will be sailing her at times, so she'll be out.

Anyway, I once timed rigging her from unclipping the cover to getting the sail up, and it was just about 2 minutes - including putting the mast up. Not a big task.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks Rupert,

It looks like Kaye and I are coming up for one day. Not sure which one yet but probably Saturday.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353