Repairs to Merlin Rocket 3365

share hints, tips and experiences
podmeister

Repairs to Merlin Rocket 3365

Post by podmeister »

Hi there

I just acquired MR3365 Delboy at the weekend. She looks a sound boat, but there are some dings in the hull and on the gunwhales I'd like to fix before dropping her in water.

Would it be better to just do a quick varnish on the areas of wood (Gunwhales, deck and cockpit) or word some epoxy be better? the repairs just have to see me to winter when I intend to full stip her back and give her a fresh paintjob and varnish.

Also the hull has a coating on it that is makes me think of gelcoat, but the previous owner thought it to be epoxy? How does epoxy appear when used as a hull coating? Does it have a gelcoat like finish? I have some areas on the hull that require repairing (nothing major) would epoxy be best for this? if so which one should I be looking for?

I do apologise for these very "new to restoration" questions

Thanks
Piers
MR3365 Delboy
Rupert

Re: Repairs to Merlin Rocket 3365

Post by Rupert »

Varnish the bare patches - it will make life in the winter much easier, and will keep the water out OK.

Is the hull wooden? If so, it won't be a gelcoat finish (or I hope not at least!) but may well have been coated with epoxy before being painted. If the paint job looks like gelcoat, it must still be in good nick, mind?

Epoxy in general lacks UV stablizers, so tends to be covered with paint or varnish which can resist it.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, I like thinned varnish for any bare patches....just to keep out water until you do a re-build.

If you have any actual 'cracks' then a run of cyano-acrylate glue into them first seems to help.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Excellent thanks for the replies.

I'll super glue my boat tonight before giving a quick lick of varnish.

The hull is in great condition, except for a few spost where it looks like it's been dragged up a beach or a little roughly onto the launching trolley. Nothing major, just needs a little care before she gets wet. :D

I've never truly seen an epoxy finish (or not that I know of) before so wasn't 100% sure. It has that very crisp plastic sound when I flick which made think it could be gelcoat. (I fully realise this comment sounds a little like kicking the tyres).

I'll take some snaps tonight to show you some of the damaged areas as they also made me think gelcoat.

I'll get some varnish today, to tackle the 'bare' wood, and wait to decide on a hull fix until after posting pics.

Thanks
Piers
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

OK, it is likely to be a polished 2-pack finish.

Looks beautiful, if a little plasticy for us 'classic' types.

lasts a long time, but when it does go, which will eventually happen, it can be a pig to restore.

Send pics and we can possibly help....or maybe we just like to look at other boats :-)

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Well here may be a little gem of information from MROA.
original white 2 pack finish from Rowsell's.
I'm assuming this is likely the polished 2-pack finish you mentioned before. What would be the best way to repair this for the time being?... this line of question may and will lead to asking how I can take it off when I come to refurb it.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The eqivilent of spotting the bare patches with varnish. Even white house undercoat then gloss will keep the water out (I've had boats survive for years done with cheap gloss that happened to be lying around), the only problem being that if you are going to re-finish with 2 pack poly you may need to ensure you've sanded off the normal gloss beforehand, as it can react with the 2 pack. So it does depend slightly upon what your winter work is going to be.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pod,

Okay, after boats in the mid 3100 range (after 3149 to be a tad more precise) Rowsells were epoxy coating. This might just be your lucky day as not only is this great news, but you're about to find out that you are in good company on here. Seventh Heaven, the iconic NSM2 built by Jon Turner features on here as does a Winder boat that has recently started the refettling process, plus my own Smokers and a number of other wonderful Merlins.

From long experience I'd say that the following process would be a good way for you to proceed. Touch up any bits of bare wood with standard varnish, as has been said, the key thing is to protect the wood until you're ready to do the job 'beginning to end'.

I'll be at Blithfield, Bosham and Hunts so by all means come and have a natter. The bottom line is that with the hull epoxy coated, you already have a wonderful base for that classic Merlin finish. The outside of the hull, despite the clinker lapstraking, is not that hard. Invest in some soft foam longboards (they are only off cuts chopped into shape), take off 80% or so of the old paint, fill, sand, highbuild, longboard again - then get someone to spray your topcoat.

Where will you be based, from a sailing point of view and from a working perspective.

I've seen your mails already on the MR site, you'll get lots of help there too and if you want history and background, you'll see pictures of NSM2s and many other 'special' boats on the Facebook page for the new merlin rocket book - on FB it is just 'merlinrocketbook' - all one word, no spaces. If you know someone well and leave a promised 'pound of flesh' on deposit you might just get loaned a copy of the old MR book, however, that ends just as the NSM2 was coming into its heyday.

Any other questions, feel free to ask away..... someone on here will have been there, done it and will have pictures as well!

Dougal
David H
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Rupert wrote:The eqivilent of spotting the bare patches with varnish. Even white house undercoat then gloss will keep the water out (I've had boats survive for years done with cheap gloss that happened to be lying around), the only problem being that if you are going to re-finish with 2 pack poly you may need to ensure you've sanded off the normal gloss beforehand, as it can react with the 2 pack. So it does depend slightly upon what your winter work is going to be.
In winter I would like to strip the whole boat of it's current varnish and hull coating and go about re-applying it all. However, I'm assuming it might be easier to repair the 2 pack rather than strip it. Could I spot varnish the hull where the damage is or do I need to go a bit further? and get some 2 pack?

I ideally want to protect it quickly so I can get some sailing time in, but not give myself the biggest pain in the backside for the sake of rushing.

David - I'm based in York and intend to sail the boat at Beaver Sailing Club near Goole. I suspect the MR might need a deeper pond to sail on. I had a peak around but couldn't see the boats you listed. Would you mind linking me too them as I would love to read up on them.

I've already liked the facebook page - was an enjoyable Saturday evening looking through the pages pictures prior to setting out on Sunday morning to Hastings. :D
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are others on here more experienced in the use of the 2 pack products, and what you can put below them, who should be able to help more, but difficult to say anything definitive without seeing the problem.
Rupert
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Ask and you will get :D

I picked up some Blakes single pack varnish today, though its not good for below waterline work, so I'll use this to touch up the decks. What I do need is something to tackle below waterline.

I spent the evening doing some light sanding of all the areas damaged on the hull to see what state they are really in. Colour wise I'm not finding any black wood so I don't think anything has rotted yet.

She also got a good dousing of yorkshires finest water to remove any residual salt / sand / gravel from her before she gets any repair work done to ensure it sticks.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi again Pod,

Just go to the Search facility (top right) on the forum page and type in 'Seventh heaven'.

You've got the varnish for the decks: For the Hull, I'd get some fairly coarse grit paper, key up around the damaged areas, making sure that you hook out any loose flakes, then fill with epoxy filler. Sand back and put a lick of varnish over the top. It doesn't matter if the boat looks like it has an attack of Swansea measles (spots!) as you'll be going over all these areas again in the winter. It's all about protecting the wood underneath....

When you're ready to go for the main job, here or the Merlin website will be a great help for telling you how much work you have to do!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

That must have been a hard knock on the front! You can see the white Rowsell coating under the purple in that photo.

Check over the buoyancy tank after a knock like that and ensure it is watertight as other things just may have moved.
I suggest removing that battered front bit of keelband strip and the bit round the bend below and treating the screwholes too before replacing as water will get into them - keelband is a class requirement but it should straighten out if metal.

Lots of good advice already given - seal it before it gets wet, don't worry about appearance, it's about how it performs not how it looks, it's a used boat and you don't see it when you're in it!

Enjoy the sailing.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Unfortunately Rowsell's didn't put an inspection hatch in the front buoyancy tank, so they I'll give a tip and see if any thing drains out.

It does seem to have a large knock there. I imagine its been on the shore or the launching trolley.

All the advice has been great and greatly appreciated. I'm just hoping for a little nice weather so I can get the work done this week.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

What David and Pat said on the repairs!

Why is the varnish not god for under the water stuff? If it says that on the tin, it may mean for yachts which are afloat all the time. Any Blakes varnish should be OK for any part of a dinghy.
Rupert