Repairs to Merlin Rocket 3365

share hints, tips and experiences
podmeister

Re: Repairs to Merlin Rocket 3365

Post by podmeister »

bornagainmothie wrote:
If you unscrew the sheave assembly from the deck and lift out, you should find there is a centre spindle for the wheel that can be pushed out through the side of the sheave box. Its kept in place and hidden by the thickness of the deck its mounted in. Spindle out, slide the wheel (and bearing if its a posh one) to one side or clear of the box, and the wire loops should pass easily through.
Brilliant thanks for the advice - I'll make sure I try that before breaking out the wire cutters. That will certainly remove another surmounting cost even from this initial partial restoration.
chrismartin3583 wrote:drop mean email and I'll send you a piece - paramedic3602ATyahoo.co.uk
Thank you, I'll send that across today - though there is no rush. I'm amazed at how long it takes to strip the boat of hardware. Ensure everything is carefully packed and put into annotated bags and photos taken of everything in situ. And that's before I even start to strip the varnish from the boat.

Again thanks to everyone so far :D
Pat

Post by Pat »

If you are looking for a modern version of the mast ram there's one here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mast-Strut-as ... _124wt_921

As fitted to newer Albacores and working in conjunction with the adjustable shrouds and jib tension to rake the rig on the water. One day we'll work out how to actually operate it properly during a race - no wonder the Merlin one string system is popular!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Thanks Pat for the link.

The rig is set up with lowers, so I'll probably stick with those for the time being if they do the same thing. My thought is it's only another rope of the many in the boat for me to look and have no clue what to do with except pull it every now and then if it looks untidy or I have some hair brained idea that it would be appropriate for the to rake the mast back to offer some better shade from the sun :D

**EDIT**

Grab a couple of snaps at the weekend of the old girl fully stripped of hardware ready for the great stripping adventure.

podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Well, double post time :D but it doesn't feel like an edit as it's progressing with the boat.

Progress with stripping. Still getting used to keeping the hot gun moving. I'm also finding lots of "repairs" in areas such as the mast gate where the long term answer for the previous owner was epoxy... lots of epoxy. Ok for short term in my mind with the way this stuff has been applied, but for long term the area should have been replaced or at least a tidy epoxy job could have been done.

And I also took the brave, if not foolish decision to strip down my harken magic boxes (used for outer shroud tensioning) as they have been left neglected and become gunked up in salt.

the image doesn't do justice for how badly messed up they are, though perfectly recoverable. My dining table was covered in salt crystals and sand grains. Next task is to contact harken to find out some details regarding the circlips they used and if it's possible to get some spare bearings and how many need to be in each race.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Dining table covered in sand and salt, very understanding partner.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Would it be a good idea to soak it in hot water for a while?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

I'm not sure she had much opportunity to be understanding... They were dismantled before any no answer could be given to me.

The units actually came apart quite easily with a pair of cir clip pliers - however the cir clips were so badly corroded they just crumbled. I've contacted Harken today, but not heard anything - I'm assuming they are keeping their heads down as they obviously no longer supply these and probably dread people asking for information about them.
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Quick question.

How do other people tackle stripping under decks on a boat such as a low bulkhead merlin rocket? I'm currently squeezing myself, a hot air gun and a scraper under there - I'm causing more injuries to myself than I'm removing varnish / epoxy and I'm running out of room for me to be able to physically move.

Is it more common place to only do a big strip under the foredeck once the deck is removed? Because I can already see areas I know I physically can't get myself to reach with a scraper let alone anything else.
davidh

Post by davidh »

H(I)- pod................

Is it okay that I've grabbed a quick snap of Del Boy for the merlin rocket book fb page - I haven't put it up on line yet, if you'd rather I didn't then I'll stop. But if I can I'd like too - the more pics I can get the better!

D
David H
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Hi David

That's fine, if you want other shots, just let me know I'll get my camera and take what ever angle you like. :)

On a side note, as you are the man in the know about the provenance of merlins - is there any information regarding Delboys' history that you know of? I know she's a Rowsell built NSM2. Built in 1985.

I think the original owner was Ian Nicholson. Following Ian I have a Philip Wood, and later a G Wood.

All I can find on the MROA forum is some information about G (Guy?) Wood having installed a homemade self launching spinnaker pole rig which resulted in a rather bloody nose for him at one stage.

I believe G Wood owned Delboy until 2003, but after that the updating of the measurement certificates stopped (something I need to resolve).

And she also managed to gain 6kg between 1999 and 2000 which took her weight up to 105kg - currently trying to ascertain where that weight is so I can remove it. My assumption is hardware.
chris

Post by chris »

Sometimes it make getting in to awkward bits inside more comfortable to turn the boat upside down, support it safely on trestles, stools, strapped to rafters or whatever, then you can sit comfortably on a box, stick your head in the hull and work more comfortably. Just don't kick the stools away when your underneath!
JimC

Post by JimC »

chris wrote:Sometimes it make getting in to awkward bits inside more comfortable to turn the boat upside down,
A lot to be said for having the boat on her side when stripping the interior. Less stretching.
chris

Post by chris »

Or even up on end standing on its transom.
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Some interesting approaches, that I will look into, though standing on her transom may not be possible due to space.

I did manage to continue, I basically climbed into the area under the foredeck excluding my feet, they were stuck out into the cockpit - quite a sight I imagine if you happened to stroll past my garage at that point.

I did find spreading my weight was imperative as I could hear the occasional sound that made me panic, I was half expecting to go straight through the buoyancy tank.

I will however attempt the underside of the foredeck when I have flipped the boat over to strip the hull.
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Hello again everyone!

It's been awhile. Del Boy has not progressed much since I last posted. With a combination of a new baby and a house move in the interim... The 'better' half deemed those as more important than fettling my toy.

So I have moved, moved Del Boy to his new home... a roomier garage (though not the double I was insisting was on the house move priority list :( ). It's about time I started to consider giving the old girl some love again.

During this time I've been considering the best way to remove the deck - built in 1985, so it's definitely epoxied down. Is it a hacksaw job, chisel and wrecker bar? What about a multi tool? Also do I need to keep the panels as close to complete as possible for templating from?

I saw this thread which has some fantastically useful responses in it, so I'm feeling a little more confident at approaching the re-decking than before.

Also, how much flex could I see in the hull once I remove the deck? I'm aiming to not remove any of the frames if at all possible do I need to add any bracing or strapping?