Cherub.

share hints, tips and experiences
trebor

Cherub.

Post by trebor »

Hi all, a member at svsc has purchased an old wooden Cherub, the boat is in good condition (hull anyway), but their is a problem with the dagger board, the dagger board supplied is plastic about 4 feet long it looks like it belongs on a Cat, this interferes with the kicker, the kicker is attached to the very bottom of the mast, this may also be attached in the wrong place, basically you can only sail with dagger board pushed right down, photographs would help.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Nessa

Re: Cherub.

Post by Nessa »

Do you know what model cherub it is? I have some spare daggerboards that might fit.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Nessa, unfortunately no, he just brought a Cherub, that is all he knows, I have had another look at it, and the only thing I can see working with this dagger board would be a gnav, their is a retractable bowsprit with a weird ring thing sticking off the bow and their is an ally tube along centre of floor, if this is any help with id. I can get photos on thursday.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
JimC

Post by JimC »

Not very unusual to have a daggerboard that must be right down in order to gybe or tack. Don't recognise the boat from the description.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Jim, the dagger board slot literally starts at bottom of mast, the kicker is attached about 30mm above this, so you have to push the complete dagger board and handle into slot, I think even with the correct board it is still going to clash with kicker.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi, I have uploaded a few photos for you to check model of Cherub.http://youtu.be/RvTNerKqGMw
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
JimC

Post by JimC »

Not easy to get an idea of what's going on from that... I suspect the boat may be a Forman 8, but its very hard to be sure. Daggerboard or kicker placement doesn't look especially unusual to me. Basically you put the board right down to gybe. If its up very far the crew can't get across the boat anyway. On my last boat I had the kicker anchor located so I could still gybe/tack with the board about 4-6 inches up, part of that was moving the anchor up a bit and part was having a triangle cut from the for vorner of the board. Reminds me, I have a daggerboard to repair for the canoe...
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Jim, where the kicker anchor is located, you cannot tack let alone gybe without board almost flush with top of slot, you have to pull it back up with a bit of string, it appears that a gnav is best solution, their is a danger that the board could go straight through.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I'm with Jim on this one.....sounds more than likely this is the way it was.

Daggerboard would most probably have a thick bit of rope or a bolt through two doorstops that would stop it falling right through the boat.

As soon as you got going, the crew would push it down into bottom of slot and then forget about it until returning in at end of sail.

If you did bring it up on a run, which you would only do if in drifting conditions, then you really had to remember to drop it back in box, before any other operation (tack/gybe/heading up) As if you don't the pressure on the board quickly increases and you won't be able to get it down again anyway.. As Jim says, lots of canoes are also like this, mine included and yes it does happen and yes it nearly always ends up with a quick swim.

You could retro-fit a gnav, but getting it to work would depend on lots of other variables.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Ed wrote:You could retro-fit a gnav, but getting it to work would depend on lots of other variables.
Absolutely. It'll create a significant difference in the mast bend lower which won't make for a happy match between mast and and mainsail.
Best wishes

SB
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi all, Their are no simple answers to problems, the gnav at first glance appears a quick fix, but has Paul states you could then cause lower mast bend, it would appear best bet is to leave it down for the moment, David who brought this boat used to have a boat called a Flying Ant, he believes the Cherub is the closest boat to this and is the only reason he wanted it.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
JimC

Post by JimC »

trebor wrote:Hi all, Their are no simple answers to problems,
***It's not a problem***

Sorry if I sound agitated, but this is something I've seen time and again with Cherubs. As people may tell you I do have appreciable experience with the class.

Its a boat that marches somewhat to a different drummer, and time and time again I've seen someone buy a perfectly decent boat, decide some feature or another is "wrong", changing it, and either coming to an open event and then realising that everyone else has the setup they've just taken off and refitting it again, or else discovering that the boat now doesn't work properly, blame the boat and sell it on, comprehensively stuffed up.

A push kicker *will not work properly*. It will mess up the mast bend considerably. They are terrible things.

And yes, the boat is a close relative to the Ant.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Jim is right, there's something about a cherub that makes you itch to fix it when it's just not broken. I was about to do some drastci fixes to mine, but I've thought about it - and Jim's warnings - and decided to leave it be.

mine is a nasty foreman 4g with similar kicker issues, but you do manage wonce you're afloat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

***It's not a problem***
my take too....

best bet with any dev class boat is to try it as is first.....and then spend some time in the class before you make any drastic changes.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi all, I have told him to leave it "as is" and just run it with dagger board down, their is now a decent sized cvrda qualifiable fleet, probably a third of sailable boats, a fifty year old Mirror is oldest.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia