Small jigsaws

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Small jigsaws

Post by Michael4 »

I need to cut through the 24 brass (probably) screws that hold the centreboard case down on a small dinghy. They run up through keel and hog into the case's sides and never undo. Drilling out from below is haphazard and ineffective.

On the last one I did this job too I gave up and, having removed the plate simply spent hours with a hacksaw blade cutting the screws between case and hog. Well, it worked but I made a mess of my knuckles, ribs and general sense of well being.

So, is there a small electric jigsaw with a removable bottom plate that I can use, perhaps with long blades? Something I can get right down low and flat with? Or maybe something else?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
roger

Re: Small jigsaws

Post by roger »

I know Chris Barlow uses roll pins to take out damaged screws with some success.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=roll+pin

He uses them in a drill set on slow and they grab the offending screw and draw it out.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

So you run the drill in reverse and and the roll pin grabs the screw or grinds off the head? Sounds interesting and effective? Would like to know more.

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

roger

Post by roger »

I have to admit to have never used this method but Chris has described it to me as a way of removing headless or damaged screws.
Obviously you need different sizes of pin for different size of screws.
I am seeing him tonight so will ask him to come and make comment here.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Roger, thanks for your help. The screws are deep set into the keel and I don't want to drill more holes than I have to!

Andy, the multi tool looks like a possible solution, thanks for the link, I'll go and have a look at one.
Tideway 206
11+
cweed

Post by cweed »

Coincidentally, Aldi have a multitool on offer at present for £29.99.............
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I bought something similar [exact, maybe] last year from Lidl and it performed admirably, if a little noisily. the delta sander is excellent, as long as you go and buy some decent sanding pads. the smaller of the saw attachments really works well to get into those tight spots.
I would think that it would work ok for your job, just don't ask it to do heavy duty stuff
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

The muti tools are really handy, I've used one for bits for the last year, the cutting tool should work well to cut the centreboard off the hog.

Sanding wise the delta pads are useful, but the bosh pads rubbish. I ended up replacing sanding pads 3 very three days until I found these ones:-http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 37&alt=web
Good luck.