More Wayfarer issues............

share hints, tips and experiences
ent228

More Wayfarer issues............

Post by ent228 »

The Mk2 grp one we've been given has a list of issues I'm going through at the moment, but just noticed something else.

The tabernacle is made from grp reinforced wood strips running from the hog upto the underneath of the foredeck.

There is a 15 mm gap between the top of the tabernacle uprights and the underneath of the foredeck. The grp covering on the tabernacle has been flared out under the foredeck. On finding this I first assumed that the foredeck and tabernacle had just come unbonded and so tried to push the foredeck down and understandably it does not want to go.

What's best to do? It's 40yrs old, probably been like this for years.

1) Ignore it and hope for the best (not going to be used for racing, just training and pottering)
2) Attempt to pull/force the foredeck down onto the top of the tabernacle posts (I can do this with various stainless steel bolts and cramps and perseverence)

Currently it's on a trolley which maybe distorting the hull. It will be kept on a mooring. I could try pulling the foredeck down while it is afloat maybe it will be easier that way?

3) Insert a 15mm thick piece of ply between the tops of the tabernacle posts and the underneath of the foredeck and epoxy and bolt the whole thing together.

This may explain why it felt so soft when I sailed it in an F4 last week, I expect the foredeck was bouncing up and down with each gust!

Lastly, the mast has an aluminium rod as a pivot through the tabernacle. There is a block of wood underneath the mast foot separating it from the grp hog. There is no "normal" stainless channel mast step with holes as you would find on other keel stepped masts. Is it normal for the load to be taken on the pivot rod (10mm dia) and the wooded block under the mast foot? Should the pivot be removed when sailing and all the load be on the mast foot?

Thanks

Riv
JimC

Re: More Wayfarer issues............

Post by JimC »

The early wood Wayfarer I sailed decades ago had that arrangement of a mast pivot. It meant you could drop the mast on the water. Dead handy for a cruising boat if you were somewhere with bridges like say the Norfolk Broads.

The grp boat in these photos seems to have the same arrangement.

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/w ... grade.html

From your description I think I'd look to pad the gap between tabernacle and foredeck, but I'd try and take a very good look at what's going on first. Use a mobile to take lots of photos of the area (reaches the parts an SLR or human eye cannot) and you may figure out what was intended and where things now gone (if any) once were.
jpa_wfsc

Re: More Wayfarer issues............

Post by jpa_wfsc »

My very first sailing lessons ever were with PGL and they used GRP Wayfareres (early 1971).

We had to lower the mast when putting the boat away.

The Pivot bolt stayed in. But, the mast stepped on the hog which had a thin ply cap on it - it was difficult to get the mast on as one had to lift the mast a little. The pin was quite a loose fit in the mast and was not taking the loads when sailing.

The tabernacle uprights I am sure should be bonded to the deck. I suspect option 3 on your list would be right on..

Enjoy!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.