Waterlogged reinforcing of centre plate case

share hints, tips and experiences
lazouch

Waterlogged reinforcing of centre plate case

Post by lazouch »

Hi,
I have a 5m GRP Beaufort dinghy with a galvanised centre plate.
There's reinforcement around the bottom of the plate case, wood under about 2mm of GRP.
When a cleat came off in my hand I thought the wood was rotten, but having hacked off some of the GRP I find it's sound but thoroughly waterlogged.

I'm wondering, should I remove all the GRP, let the case dry out and re-lay the GRP, or does it not really matter (the extra weight isn't an issue in this boat) that the wood is soaking wet?

Any advice gratefully received.
Sam
Attachments
Beaufort centre plate case, with a little of the GRP removed, showing waterlogged wood.
Beaufort centre plate case, with a little of the GRP removed, showing waterlogged wood.
chris

Re: Waterlogged reinforcing of centre plate case

Post by chris »

I would replace the wood while you are at it.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If the fittings are pulling out, then it probably does matter, sadly. Otherwise, I'd probably ignore it for as long as possible and go sailing. But, as Chris says, if you are taking the glass off, then replace the wood. Be quicker, too, than waiting for old wood to dry.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Last year we replaced similar wood reinforced toe strap blocks and transom knee on a 2004 GRP Albacore, which were soft and rotten because they'd got wet through holes for fixings and stayed wet behind the fibreglass.
Strip it out and replace the wood is the best option then glass over it and make sure you silicon seal the holes for any fixings you drill into it again.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)