Mast and rigging winter storage

share hints, tips and experiences
XQSME

Mast and rigging winter storage

Post by XQSME »

Afternoon all

The Albacore is home now and under a cover of sorts ready for me to work through the winter. My question is , what is the general feeling? Store the mast upright leaning against a high wall or horizontally on a rack? Also, remove the rigging to store it dry or leave it in place....my worry is getting everything back on to / inside the mast again in the spring

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister
PeterV

Re: Mast and rigging winter storage

Post by PeterV »

I've tied my masts to the side of the house standing vertically before, with all the rigging on. I'm now fortunate that my Finn masts just fit diagonally across my double garage.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

My Albacore masts are supported horizontally by plastic gutter brackets screwed under the eaves of the workshop. I cant see any point in removing rigging You only have to put it back on!!
Sam
Pat

Post by Pat »

Our alloy masts and booms all sit out in the garden on three trestles to spread the load. Wooden mast is hung up inside the garage.
A mast bag is useful to fit over the bottom end of the mast and collect together and protect all the halyards and shroud ends - an old nylon jib bag does the job quite well.
Also if you have really good halyards you can tie a mast length of old line to them and haul it to the top of the mast to take the weather instead of the good halyard. The good halyard is then protected inside the mast and the mast bag. This also works in summer when the mast is up and the boat covered as it prevents the sun bleaching the halyards.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Firefly mast sits on the hedge in the front garden. Supported all along its length that way.
Rupert
XQSME

Post by XQSME »

Thanks all , I'll get it up on the wall horizontally I think and leave the rigging where it is..
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister