Insurance

General chat about boats
Chalky

Insurance

Post by Chalky »

Hi,
Has anyone had any success in buying insurance for very short durations? My old boats don't come out very often so only need insurance for one weekend in a year.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Insurance

Post by Ed »

No, I have looked and never found anything. If you do, please tell us all. There is someone, Tower? who have a 6month policy which saves a little money.

For myself, I have found that the cheapest insurance I could get was the online 3rd party cover with Bishop Skinner and I am happy to use that, as most fixes would be done by me anyway.

Of course, you could take out cover and then just cancel it afterwards, within the 14 day cool-off period. Some insurers will cancel for free within 14 days and some charge only a small handling fee. I wouldn't imagine the insurers would be very happy about this though.

I should add that I have never done this as I like the Bishop Skinner 3rd party cover.

But and I have said this so many times. We really should try and approach an insurance company and see if we could arrange a policy that fully fitted what we require as an association.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I did last year E&L Insurance. will do monthly but you must ensure that you cancel promptly otherwise it rolls on.

www.eandl.co.uk
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Pat

Post by Pat »

Rather than doing online, phone up and chat to them and explain how you want to use the boat If you already have a policy with someone an insurer for a regularly used boat, they may be able to do something for a one-off.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)