Having a nose job.

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

Having a nose job.

Post by Michael Brigg »

I mentioned last year that I had a bump at Bosham. Reaching along the startline when a YW dayboat ambled across my path. In the ensuing panic, my bow sufferred a direct head on blow and the rubbing strip was lost...

This is the state of my "nose" after tidying up and debriding the damage. As can be seen it is a tight curve.

I have tried steaming a number of different pices but they all snapped or buckled before I had even got to 90'

Only one thing for it: Search my wood pile for a grown piece of wood...

Much whittling and sanding later I have a new, but slightly lumpy nose job, with grain in the right orientation so as not to split (like the old one did.) :)

Next stop is concert the mast step to fixed and get the centreplate repaired. On the water by Easter??!! 8)
Michael Brigg
dronskiuk

Re: Having a nose job.

Post by dronskiuk »

Michael Brigg wrote:I mentioned last year that I had a bump at Bosham. Reaching along the startline when a YW dayboat ambled across my path. In the ensuing panic, my bow sufferred a direct head on blow and the rubbing strip was lost...

This is the state of my "nose" after tidying up and debriding the damage. As can be seen it is a tight curve.

I have tried steaming a number of different pices but they all snapped or buckled before I had even got to 90'

Only one thing for it: Search my wood pile for a grown piece of wood...

Much whittling and sanding later I have a new, but slightly lumpy nose job, with grain in the right orientation so as not to split (like the old one did.) :)

Next stop is concert the mast step to fixed and get the centreplate repaired. On the water by Easter??!! 8)
Applause! Ingenious, traditional and functional :-)
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nice:-)
Now, Ash is conventional isn't it. Or is it sycamore? Who is looking for suitable shoots on trees in their garden and carefully bending them round a former for grown bow pieces in some year's time? Think the lead time could be problematic though.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Much applause and huge approval of grown timbers. I've been pondering a grown tiller for a while, every walk in the woods is seen as an opportunity.

Next time I chop down something worthwhile I'll be looking for bits such as yours to add to my pile of 'you never know it may come in handy one day'.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.