Finn Wooden Mast Rigging

share hints, tips and experiences
Donie75

Finn Wooden Mast Rigging

Post by Donie75 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi,
As per my previous post, I am restoring an old 60’s Pearson Finn. I think this might be my Covid-19 isolation project. It has a wooden mast and boom that are in reasonable condition. Does anyone have a diagram showing the rigging especially the vang. My boat doesn’t appear to have a vang but I have seen old photos online that show some don’t seem to have vangs.
Also, there are 3 jamming cleats and another cam cleat on each side. I’m not sure what these do.
Also, how is the bungee rigged to hold out the boom and the centre plate
Someone posted sketchbook type illustrations on Facebook a few months ago but these seem to be for an aluminium rig.
Thanks,
Donie

PeterV

Re: Finn Wooden Mast Rigging

Post by PeterV » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:48 am

Donie, I have a copy of the Finn rigging guide which was produced in 1990, so towards the end of the alloy rig era. However the kicker is a lever kicker the same as a modern Finn.
For a wooden rig you have to decide how you're going to do it. An old fashioned lever kicker will work, that's what I had on my wooden rig on my first 2 Finns in the 70s. It used to work on 2 wire strops, one from the mast and another to the boom, but now dyneema would be better. Put the lever facing upwards because there's not enough room for it to face down. The other method is a drum kicker. These had a poor eputation, usually from the primary wire fraying and binding but now with dyneema they work quite well, and this is what I use on my wooden rig now.

The cleats either side are for the inhaul, the out haul, the Cunningham and the kicker. As you only have 3 they are probably for the inhaul, cunningham and kicker. You can end the out haul on the boom, cleated by the mainsheet take off.

The centreboard elastic needs 2 sheaves at the aft end of the centreboard capping. The elastic comes from the board, through one sheave, round the front of the case and back up through the other sheave to the board. The elastic needs to have an eye in both ends to fit over an extension on your front centreboard stopper bolt. The elastic should be too tight for you to be able to put it on when the board is up, this is so its strong enough to hold the board sticking out if you turn upside down.

The boom elastic hooks onto the boom mainsheet fitting each side and goes through a block at the bow.

Best of luck with your Covid 19 project,
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash

Donie75

Post by Donie75 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks Peter. There seems to be no lever kicker on my boat. There is a pretty lightweight looking stainless steel fitting under the boom that may have been used previously. If you have any photos showing your setup for the kicker and the general rigging around the gooseneck of a wooden mast, I would be very grateful.

Finnsailor

Post by Finnsailor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Donnie, do you know what make the mast is? Does the boom fit into a hole through the mast? If so it may have been set up for a wedge which is used to wedge the boom up or down.

Peter also mentioned a drum. Some Boats had a drum on the boom with a wire to the mast. The bang is put on by tightening the wire on the drum.

Good luck

Martin
Attachments
CDE97D5A-D342-43EA-8D96-52FF8269DBA3.jpeg
Martin
1957 Jeremy Rogers Finn K192
2004 modern Devoti Finn: GBR567

Donie75

Post by Donie75 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:59 pm

I’ve put a few photos of my Pearson Finn into a google photos album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygtp5LbbsSCThWmQ8

Have a look and see if it works

PeterV

Post by PeterV » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Donie,
Here's my set up. My boom fits into the mast the same as yours. You can see I have a strop around the mast at deck level which takes the primary block so the drum power is doubled, then the drum take off goes through a block to a take off to either side so its multiplied by 2 again. You can also see how I've arranged the other blocks to take the inhaul and cunningham lines which also split to cleats either side.

PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash